Blowing Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have blown 2 powersupplys, at first i though it was the MB so i switched to a new identical MB, both boards have blown 1 power supply. 350W and a 400W. The 350W lasted about a week, and the 400W on the second MB lasted about 15 minutes, There are many other computers in the house that have never had any problems simmiler to this. Any thoughs or sugestions on what may be going wrong?

System specks,

Intel 3.2E
Intel 875PBZ MB
2048 MB PC 3200
2 Maxtor 250 GB SATA Drives
Nvida 5950 Ultra 256 MB
DVD-R/+R/RW drive

Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Buy a good name brand PSU, not a generic one.

If it actually is your mobo frying psu's no matter how high quailty they are, you should probably get a new mobo ;)

I have tyied to differnt MB's that were identical except for a P4 3.2 vers a 3.2E, both blew the powersupply. I guess ill try a non generic powersupply, i just dont want to spend all the money on it and then have it blow after a coupple of minutes as well.

Looking at the rest of the specs, it's safe to assume he can afford a proper PSU & he did try changing the motherboard once allready.;)

It's quite a demanding rig you've got there ( high end, VGA card high end CPU & lots of Ram ), have you tried getting using a PSU above 400w ?

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

You likely have some other problem there. Two different PSUs and two boards...
Even though generic PSUs are not reliable, its not that common for them to blow up upon installing, they generally just don't last long and don't deliver the proper power.

The only other thing that i can think of is that the video card may be pulling too much power, anyone know how much power 5950's pull when doing rendering? I havent tryed anything higher then the 400W yet, that will probably be my next test.

It definitely sounds like a short - you could also check the outlet you are pugging into with a voltage reader, and make sure it isn't pouring too much juice...I actually use a power conditioner for my rig, and it has an LCD display of the actual current coming out of the wall socket - probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Low voltage will cause the following: 99% of all power supplies are NOT blown when your computer does not start.
1. unplug the power cord
2. switch the power switch 115/230 back and forth 2 or 3 times.
3. return the switch to the proper voltage position
4. plug the power cord backin.
5. turn on the computer...

Frank, stop licking the output of the power supplies. Your last 2 post on this subject replied to threads 2 years old. Freak! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back