Blu-ray or HD-DVD ... in the hands of the consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maikeru

LOS ANGELES - People who own an HD DVD player can forget about watching "Spider-Man 3" in high definition when it goes on sale during the holiday season. The movie from Sony Pictures will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format. Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.

These exclusive arrangements, plus aggressive price cuts for high-def DVD players, are designed to persuade consumers to finally embrace one format or the other.

But analysts wonder if the moves will anger consumers, just as the studios and consumer-electronics companies are hoping to boost high-def DVD sales as growth in standard DVDs stalls.

"The frustration for consumers is not knowing what format is going to win," said Chris Roden, an analyst at Parks Associates.

I am actually disheartened while watching the Blu-ray and HD-DVD battle. I think it sucks that I will be unable to purchase a certain movie because it's in the wrong format. IMO that adds to the problem, not the solution.

I don't exactly know when the key "turning point" of the battle will be, but I am anxiously waiting for it.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Maikeru Hatamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back