Blu-Ray WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IH8PunkRock

ok i dont care if this is in the wrong place move it if it is, the most people look at this one.
first of all what is blu ray? is it an hd dvd?
why does only sony have it and why does it cost $1000 to get the player?

someones gotta know, please answer quickly im dyin to know.

It is SOny's version of High Definition.......Very expensive right now....I'll stick to my simple Dual Layer DVD's....

interestingly enough, if they keep shortening the wavelengths and starting using masers instead of lasers, I wonder how high a density they can theoretically achieve.

Sony isnt the only one who has Blu-ray they are just pushing the hardestfor it because they have invested so much money into integrating it into alot of things. such as PS3 mainly. also iirc sony wasnt the first company to use blu-ray. the highest ive heard of them getting a blu-ray disk to hold was 200gigs of data. they said it wasnt practical to make but was just demonstrating the benefits of blue-ray over normal dvd's or even hd dvd. most disks will be around 20ish gig and i think the blu-ray disks used for ps3 are something like 54gigs.

Most discs will be either 25 or 50 gig - single or dual layer. They have some triple layers in the works and have tested as high as 8 (as you mentioned earlier with 200 gig.) There will be plenty of both the 25 and 50 gig versions floating around as well as HD DVD's 15 and 30 gig versions.

yeah, but this is with conventional laser. With microwave lasers (masers) the output could be much higher.

If you need a new laptop you can kill 2 birds with one stone if you really want blu-gay. I think Toshiba? and likely sony have laptops out on the market for like $2500 that have a blu-gay drive in them.

Doubt Toshiba will have bluray drives in theirs since they're the main ones pushing for HD-DVD :) -- I could be wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back