Blue display on front panel getting dim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisandBailey

Here's a question about a dumb little feature with no real purpose but looks: the blue display on the front panel of my computer case is getting dim. If I take off the panel and look behind it, what should I look for? A small battery that needs replacement? Or would it be part of a software configuration?

Here's an attached image of it that I took last summer. It's the bright blue rectangle with the digital letters between the two vertical lights.

Attachments

• connection04.jpg
    connection04.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6
LEDs do burn out. Sometimes quick, sometimes slowly. In your posted picture, what part is getting dimmer? There is no battery involved

The entire rectangular window in the middle of the case, just above the buttons. Would this be a complete unit with a wire that I would have to replace?

The entire rectangular window in the middle of the case, just above the buttons. Would this be a complete unit with a wire that I would have to replace?

I have the same exact case, and HAD the same exact problem,
At times the panel would be ok and then it would be dim.
Very difficult to remove the chassis front panel. I tried and thought better.
However I did resolve the problem. I noticed while the computer was running, if I moved the wires connected to the front display panel it would go from dim to bright. I disconnected the molex feeding power to the display and used a different molex. Since I did that the display has stayed bright.
I hope that will cure your problem as well.
Let us know.

BTW you claim the panel is jusy a cosmetic gimmick. Not really........it furnishes cpu, hdd ,and graphic card temps in c/f degrees. It also displays the system fan operation.

Well, I tried changing molexes and fiddling with the wires. No luck, but I think that narrows it down.

Sorry, you weren't able to fix the prob. but if the display still is illuminated, then I would guess a wire has become disconnected. The wire s wich are connected to the display are hot glued on the connections, so it is difficult to trouble shoot this prob.
I have a new case and tried to find a similar display to mod the case. Seems like they are only sold in a 3.5 bay type housings. And those I saw were c- - - , compared to the one like we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back