Blue Screen after upgrading to XP

By Bishop
Dec 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got a blue screen after redoing my machine. Using XP Pro Blue screen gave a 0x0000007E error. Did a repair got back into OS and retrieved mini-dump files. Dont know why blue screen occured. Thank you
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Two of your minidumps crash with memory corruption. Faulty ram?

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Bishop

Bishop Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 36

thank you very much for your help. followed the instructions ran memtest and got 2 errors. is memtest suppose to take like 3 hours? i had to cancel the test after 3 hours. going to replace the ram. by the way just a quick question how does or why does memory go bad all of a sudden? thank you again.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Memtest86+ will run indeffinitely until it is stopped. It is usually recommended to run at least 7 passes. This can take quite some time.

If Memtest gives your errors, then your ram is bad.

Ram like any other component can fail. Overheating/age/low quality/OC`d. All can affect the lifetime of the ram.

It`s also a good idea to clean the ram contacts with an eraser. Blow away the remnants, and replace. Try a different dimm slot.

Once you`ve replace the ram your problem should be solved.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Bishop

Bishop Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 36

Thanks for all the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.