Blue screen and "Other User" problems (Windows Vista)

Hello.

I'm currently having a bit of a problem with one of my laptops.
It's a Gateway running Windows Vista (I believe the Home Edition, but I'm not certain since this laptop was just recently given to me by my sister.).

Anyway, while restarting the laptop after trying to get a few virus problems fixed, it went to a blue screen and had "STOP: 0x000000F4" under the technical information.
I didn't think this would be much of a problem because I've had computers blue screen on me before and was able to get them up and running again after rebooting and running a few scans.
Though, the laptop continues to go to the blue screen when trying to boot normally and even trying to go to safe mode. I've tried a few other options, but when I can get it to load, it goes to a log in screen with "Other User" present (Usually when booting, it just logs onto the only account automatically since it's not password protected.).

I'm at a lost as to where to go from and thus could use some help.
Thank you.

Your error is 0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function.

1, There is a possibility you are still infected.

2. There is also the very real possibility your registry and/or Windows files are corrupted.

* Do you have your Vista disk or recovery disks?

Sadly, I wasn't given recovery disks as they were lost.
The only Vista recovery disk I have is for an Everex laptop.

Do you have access to another computer? An old tried and true method and yet very effective is to take the harddrive out and slave it to another system. Then through said system you can access that harddrive and run diagnostics.

How old is this system?

I have two Vista laptops, three XP laptops, three XP desktops, and a Windows 7 desktop that I have access to. I'm unsure if it matters, but none of them are Gateway computers like the problematic laptop.

It's was bought brand new back in 2007, so it's about 4 years old.

Doesn't matter the make of the system because the issue here is the harddrive and being able to access it. You should be able to slave it in the Windows 7 set-up.

Back