Blue Screen, Can't get in Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to install a D-Link wireless card into my desktop but it messed up my pc and now when it restarts I get the blue screen. I am not able to do anything, not even in safe mode, just can't get in the system any more. The D-Link tech support didn't help.

Can anybody suggest how do I save my hard drive and get in the system?

Pentium 4, 1.4 GHz 256 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard drive.

I even removed the wireless network card but I still get the blue screen and stuck there.

Please Help!!!

I'm afraid I have no idea what's causing windows to fail, though someone else may.

If you have space on the drive and only need to retrieve data from the disk, then you could always try to install a fresh copy of windows on top of the current installation (ie, WITHOUT formatting the disk.).

It may be useful if you could post the message you are getting on the blue screen in this thread.

:D Welcome to Techspot BTW.

The message says something like:

"Stop..something...if this is the first time you have seen restart the computer.. if you have installed new hard disk, hard disk controller etc remove the recently installed hardware..."

I have pretty important data on the disk, I have some sort of impression set in my mind that every time you install Win 2000 it formats the drive, but I guess I will have to try that!

thanks for your reply.

In all honesty, I've never used win2k :eek: I went straight from 98 to XP Pro. I know with both of those you can install without re-formatting. Someone else may be able to advise you better if you need further help with that. I've not seen the particular setup options, though I wouldn't expect a spectacular difference.

Option number two for data retrieval (provided your disk partitions are still intact), would be to take the HDD out and insert it in another machine as a slave drive if you have access to one. If in doubt about the install options and in a rush to get your data, boot up that other machine with your drive as slave and get at your documents that way (unless they are in the 'My Documents' folder on an ntfs file system.)

Win2k will allow to roll back to the' Last known good Configuration"
Boot to Safe mode ,with emergency repair disk if necessary. The option above will present itself.
I hope Blue has data backed up,nothing is garranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back