Blue Screen Error 0x7e driver iaStor.sys not fixed after factory reset

Hi guys,
So I downloaded something that I believe had a virus in it, and it caused me to begin getting the Blue screen of death with the above error code and driver file.

So I factory reset, but I don't think it wiped all the files, because I am still getting the screen.

I uninstalled the driver associated with the file (Intel Mobile Express Chip set SATA RAID Controller) and that didn't fix it.

I've also tried to run the diagnostic in the BIOS menu and that hasn't fixed it (and it often blue screens while its running).

I want to factory reset it for real, which I suspect it didn't do because I was running it through dell datasafe. I was running the reset that way because, due to another (since fixed) issue, I factory reset my computer about a month ago. Since then it hasn't made any restore points (not sure how that happened) and it was telling me there was nothing to restore from.

I'm on a dell xsp 14 ultrabook running 64 bit windows 7, so I don't have a disk drive, and I don't have an external one, either. I do have a pretty large external hard drive, so if I needed to run something off of that I could.

The blue screen is happening more and more frequenrly and I'm worried it will stop working all together soon.

If anyone can help me, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

PS I will upload my minidump info shortly.

I'm afraid the driver iastore.sys is a symptom and not a cause of your trouble. It may actually be a failing hard drive or SSD drive in your notebook PC, causing the blue screens

I'm afraid the driver iastore.sys is a symptom and not a cause of your trouble. It may actually be a failing hard drive or SSD drive in your notebook PC, causing the blue screens
Is there any way to find out for sure what's causing it? If I know for sure I can replace it myself (it would be cheaper than buying a new PC). Or if there's anyway to repair the hard drive?

How old is this laptop? Hard drives or SSD drives are easily replaced, but you will have to re-install Windows. The easiest way to do this is to buy a new laptop hard drive and remove the old one. Depending how old this laptop is and determining if the hard drive is either an IDE or SATA type will help you. Also purchase an external USB hard drive enclosure to put the old drive in so that you might be able to recover your data eventually

The laptop is about 4 years old. It has a SATA drive, and fortunately I've got anything I want on it backed up to my external hard drive already. The laptop didn't come with any disks, as it didn't have a disk drive in it. Should I contact Dell, and get them to send me the disks, then buy a new hard drive and an external disk drive? Will I have any issues using the external disk drive without any software on the computer yet?

If you get a recovery disk from Dell you won't need another external USB drive at all. The disk from Dell will install Windows and all the drivers you'll need for the laptop. After all the drivers and Windows Updates are installed, you can re-install things that you backed up

Back