Blue Screen error message HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'd appreciate your help on this one.

I have a Dell laptop which started getting blue screen stop error messages a few weeks ago. The error text seemed to change each time, and following advice then, I updated drivers etc, but to no avail. Eventually reinstalled OS (Windows XP), had a few days of peace, but now they're back...

Thought it might be a hard drive problem but I have had this laptop for 3 years and have already replaced the hard drive. For this reason, I'm wondering if there could be another problem which is causing the hard drive to be unhappy.

The last blue screen I got said:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x820FADA0, 0x820FAF14, 0x805c749A)

I was working on a Word document at the time.

Thank you in advance

No, have had the same hard drive for at least a year. Haven't made any changes to anything else recently either.

Checked in the Event Viewer, and the most frequent error explanation that's coming up there (from Microsoft Help & Support Centre). Don't know if it helps/adds any information, but here it is:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Disk
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Version: 5.2.3790.1830
Message: Disk - The driver has detected a controller or cable error.

Explanation
This event indicates that I/O failures have occurred on the volume.

Cause
Possible causes include:

A hardware failure that prevents communication with a disk (for example, a loose cable, a loose disk controller card, or a cable failure).

User Action
Do one or more of the following:

Check the status of your hardware for any failures (for example, a disk, controller card, or cable failure).
Check Event Viewer for additional events from lower-level storage drivers that might indicate the cause of the failure.
Restart the computer.
Contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back