Blue Screen & nv4_disp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meilei

I was on my computer for a few hours now and then suddenly, while on Guild Wars for about 3 hours, my screen suddenly froze up and then I got the blue screen.

I didn't get to finish reading everything, but it mentioned the problem being caused by nv4_disp. And something about being stuck on an infinite loop.

After a few minutes my computer restarted.

I've never had this problem before. Can someone help me, please?

If you look in C:\WINDOWS\minidump there should be .DMP files in there. If you attach some of the most recent ones to your next reply we will be more than happy to look them over for you and help you with this issue. As a general rule I don't like to make suggestions until I have had a chance to look over the minidump files.

Also, your system specs would be handy too

brand/model of your computer
Operating system
graphics card
CPU
ammount/brand of memory installed
and anything else you think would be helpful

As a general rule I don't like to make suggestions until I have had a chance to look over the minidump files.

Also, your system specs would be handy too

brand/model of your computer
Operating system
graphics card
CPU
ammount/brand of memory installed
and anything else you think would be helpful

Cybelex, Sure the blue screen is saying "caused by nv4_disp" and Meilei very well may need to update the video card drivers (that was my first thought). However, you shouldn't go around just snap diagnosing without having more information about the issue. In the case of blue screens, Minidumps and system specs are invaluable. As you can see, I had replied to this issue requesting minidumps and system specs. It's not like there weren't any replies to this thread or a reply saying "hmmm don't know", nor was there a delay in responses (a few days without any response)

With that being said, In the future please try to be a bit more considerate of the person asking for help and the people that are trying to help resolve the issue.

Thank you.

Most of the time that is resolved by a driver update. Back in the early days of XP that particular blue screen happened to probably 99% of nvidia card users, most people were fixed by updating the drivers (sometimes needing to wait for nvidia's next release). Updating drivers is also a harmless procedure and I would have also suggested that first before diving into a bunch of other diagnostics that are likely unnecessary.

Point taken. I guess I just work differently and prefer to have minidumps and such before making a decision. I guess it all comes back to the saying "Different strokes for different folks" Anyway, Updating the video drivers to the latest version should correct the issue.

Please post back and let us know if the issue persists, or if updating the drivers fixes the issue.

Cybelex, Sure the blue screen is saying "caused by nv4_disp" and Meilei very well may need to update the video card drivers (that was my first thought). However, you shouldn't go around just snap diagnosing without having more information about the issue. In the case of blue screens, Minidumps and system specs are invaluable. As you can see, I had replied to this issue requesting minidumps and system specs. It's not like there weren't any replies to this thread or a reply saying "hmmm don't know", nor was there a delay in responses (a few days without any response)

With that being said, In the future please try to be a bit more considerate of the person asking for help and the people that are trying to help resolve the issue.

Thank you.

A driver update is needed and will resolve the problem. Of course, there is always a long and more difficult way to get to any point.

Before I attempt to update my NVIDIA driver, I have to know, which driver do I download? There's so many to choose from, and I have no idea which one corresponds to mine.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT. Which series do I select? Also, before I install the new driver should I uninstall the current one then install the new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back