Blue Screen of death, don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcaticus

Hello

My PC keeps restarting whilst I am playing games. I keep getting restarts/BSOD's, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I don't know much about troubleshooting things so please forgive me if I don't know immediately what you're talking about, if you choose to reply.

I've looked through other posts and saw the trend is to upload recent minidump files. So to keep to that I have uploaded my minidumps in a ZIP file, so they're all there.
I would really appreciate it if you would help me solve this problem as it's really annoying.

Thanks for your time.

Bobcaticus

The ususal causes are:
video graphics driver, video card failing, video card overheating, cpu over heating, cpu fan wearing out, thermal paste between the cpu and the heatshink has dried up or otherwise lost contact, failing memory module, failing hard drive, too much heat in the case, an inadequate or failing power supply unit, or memory such as Value Ram which is too slow for gaming.

You might first start with these, knowing they can also help you start to rule out things:
Download and run the free MemTest86 and run it for four hours or seven passes... or more.
Download and run the free hard drive fitness of your hard drive manufacturer. Every drive manufacturer except Toshiba has one.
Clean your cpu fan with Dust Off, a Que Tip, and denatured alcohol.
Clean the fan in your power supply.
Clean the fan on your video graphics card with a Qtip and denatured alcohol.
Download the latest video graphics driver from the manufacturer of the video graphics card.
Add a case fan or two to reduce the temperature inside the case.
Upgrade your memory to more, or to faster memory.
Keep notes on when this happens, and what is going on inside your computer

Your first minidump is an 0x7F error and it pointed to memory corruption as the probable cause. Bad RAM will cause all kinds of headaches. Here is more on this error from auhma.org:

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Three other minidumps pointed to ati3duag.dll as the probable cause. This is an ATI video driver.

First, run memTest to test your RAM. It needs to run for a minimum of 7-10 passes and this takes a long time. Any errors means you should run MemTest on each individual stick to know which or if all need to be replaced.

Second, if MemTest comes out clean (its a great test but bad memory has been known to "pass" so its not perfect) then upgrade your video drivers.

How do you run Memtest?

I'll be looking at the Memory and at the graphics card. I installed a 512mb stick of RAM recently, so that might be a cause.

I also installed an ATI Radeon X1650 PRO AGP (512). I was given it by a friend who has a new graphics card.

I don't have any floppy disks spare to install this "Memtest" onto. Can you run it from Windows? Not only that my floppy disk drive gave up on me a while ago (It got ruined basically).

I know about "Ati3duag" as I used to have another ATI card, which was thrown away when problems arose about that driver (On a different PC of course).
"Clean your cpu fan with Dust Off, a Que Tip, and denatured alcohol.
Clean the fan in your power supply.
Clean the fan on your video graphics card with a Qtip and denatured alcohol.
Download the latest video graphics driver from the manufacturer of the video graphics card"
I've done those and lo and behold -- BSOD. Thanks for the advice though, it means a lot to me. On another forum they just kept saying "YOU SHOULD HAVE GAWN NVIDIA LAWL! NVID>ATI!".

It seems to happen when I am playing a game. It happens mostly with online games (Such as GunZ : The Duel).

Thanks for your replies so far guys, it means a lot to me.

Bobcaticus

You can burn a CD of MemTest as well.

if you didn't have issues with the previous driver then I suggest rolling back to that driver.

I reinstalled the old driver just there, I'm going to test it.

It's going to be embarrassing but I do not have a CD burner. I'll need to ask a friend if he can burn Memtest onto it.

Should he use something like Ashampoo, or Nero? Or is the windows disk copier thing okay?

Anything that can burn a CD should be fine.

Also, I know that with a floppy the floppy drive must be first bootable in order for it to work. This is easily arranged in your BIOS.

I believe it is the same if you are using a CD drive. As the computer boots up make sure your CD is in the drive. The test will take over from there. Sit back and read a book. :)

Ok, I let memtest run all night and got no errors. I reinstalled my drivers and still nothing.

I keep seeing something about "System error -- This name already exists on the network" (On starting Windows).

I looked in the even viewer and saw a lot of things about the network (I think).

Ok, I let memtest run all night and got no errors. I reinstalled my drivers and still nothing.

I keep seeing something about "System error -- This name already exists on the network" (On starting Windows).

I looked in the even viewer and saw a lot of things about the network (I think). I uploaded some screen shots to show you what I mean.

(I tried to upload the pictures here but when I upload my file it says it's invalid. Something to do with the fact it's a 7zip file?)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FBCLPYZM

I'm terribly confused still. I tried opening the .dmp files but couldn't. I did the symbols and all, so I don't know what I have done wrong.

I hate not knowing what to do, and buying a new pc is not an option.

Before I had uninstalled the drivers I tried rolling back but I still got restarted.

Would the pictures I supplied with the upload help maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back