TechSpot

blue screen of death - dont understand error message

By bizzyliz
May 25, 2006
  1. I have an ACER laptop (Win xp Home SP2 Pentium M 1.5Ghz) which has suddenly decided to act up and give me a BSOD. Got it into safe mode and disabled the auto start to read the error message which follows but dont have aclue what it means. Can anyone explain - please?

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XAAEC54D0, 0XF88A3FC8, 0XF88A3CC4)

thanks

2. resu

resu TS Rookie Posts: 172

I just did a quick search on google for the first set of numbers as that is normally the general issue and the rest of the numbers describe the problem in more detail.

STOP: 0X0000007E

microsoft say that its to do with upgrading to XP?! i dunno if that applies to you at all..
    After some more searching i found this:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21621.html

this may help you as someone talks about partitions on the HDD and I know that ACER partition their drives as well..
    you may want to check it out.
    Let me know if this is of any use to you:D

3. bizzyliz

bizzyliz TS Rookie Topic Starter

BSOD continuation

thanks for the suggestions. You are right I havent upgraded to XP but will have a read of the link you gave. Yes ACER do partition the drive but again I havent been messing about with that - in fact I barely use the partitioned drive.

I have remembered that chdsk did start up last week when I switched on and I let it run - nothing unusual found but that must have been the beginnings of the whole problem. Thing is I cant remember if I did anything different last week like installing software :(

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

post 5-6 of the most recent minidumps here in a .zip
    they can be located in the %systemroot%\minidumps folder, where systemroot is the windows directory.

maybe wise to run a chkdsk /f again, defrag, and a hdd diagnostic if needed...
    what environment changes has the laptop experienced? software/hardware etc..? <--if you remember anything else that is...
    drivers up to date? temps ok? clean from infections?

it may be smart to backup your important data, if it does become a problem relating to the hdd...

5. bizzyliz

only found one minidump but stuck it on anyway. Also put on most recent event logs but I dont see anything that seems the culprit - correct me if I am wrong.

I ran chkdsk but it wont let me do /f - says it cant lock the drive. Drive is FAT32 if that makes any difference. currently running defrag. no massive changes in environment. software - added a program and uninstalled it Ok. hardware - only new thing used recently was an external floppy drive so no drivers needed.

I had already backed up my working files but not happy at the thought of perhaps having to reinstall everything.

6. cpc2004

cpc2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,994

Your minidump is crashed at ZoneAlarm. However one minidump is insufficent to confirm the culprit. Un-install ZoneAlarm. If it still crashes, run memtest to stress test the ram.

7. bizzyliz

You are a genius!! Success though I must say I was a bit sceptical as ZA has been on the laptop since I bought it last summer. I assume there was an update recently that put it wrong otherwise why would it be working OK for so long. I also have it on my other machine and touch wood thats working fine.

Computers - who'd have them! :)

thanks again for all the suggestions
    Liz

8. altheman

altheman TS Rookie Posts: 425

since ZA isnt working for you, i recommend Sygate Firewall. i also had problems with ZA, but Sygate hasnt given me any problems :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.