TechSpot

Blue Screen of Death whenever i try and format my pc.

By meermiester
Jun 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive been having major problems with my PC so i reformmated my hdd. All goes well until windows setup boots up from my hdd for the first time after setup files have been copied - blue screen of death. I restarted my PC, same thing. So i figured it was just a one off setup glitch and tried to reformatted it again. Now when either i press 'R' for system recovery or after i accept the liscensing agreement in windows setup i get: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Any help will be EXTREMELY appreciated!

*System Spec: Athlon64 3200+ Venice, LanParty Ultra-D, 512mb PC333, Maxtor SATA 160GB HDD, Radion X700Pro 256mb

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Are you using the latest SATA drivers on the floppy you used at F6?

3. meermiester

meermiester TS Rookie Topic Starter

just tried that, still the same blue screen appearing when i press 'r' or install windows. would it help if i flash my bios? maybe its a compatability issue?

4. IronDuke

5. meermiester

Looks like ive gotta get myself down to pcworld tommoro morn and get some new RAM... the ddr I have are a bit old.

6. IronDuke

That is a possibility, but not certain. Can you run memtest even overnight. If that goes 7 passes without a number of failures it would make the ram look less guilty.

7. meermiester

oK I ran memtest overnight, 17passes and no errors. If its not the RAM what is it?

8. meermiester

ive updated my bios. no change. i swapped my SATA hdd with a IDE 40gig one and the same problem occurs. So its not my RAM or my HDD.

9. IronDuke

Like I said it is tricky. It would appear to be a driver problem as I understand it. So you may have some success it you take out anything that is not absolutely necessary and try again. This will still be a problem if it is the SATA driver. Did you cahck for compatability?

10. meermiester

my maxtor 6l160m0 is on the combatability list, so's my HIS X700 256 graphics. I cant find my mobo anywhere on there. By the way the stop error is: 0x0000004e (0x0000008f, 0x00009be4, 0x00009bdc, 0x00000000)

11. meermiester

ive fixed it, i removed one of my 256mb sticks of RAM and it works. why do u think it didnt show up in memtest?

12. IronDuke

Could say as I don't know about these things. Guess would be that memtest test certain parameters and your problem was out side these. How's that for a non answer :). You might get a result from memtest86+, this may be more thorough.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.