Blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some help debugging a bugcheck.

I have a dell dimension Pc, running XP home edition, SP2.
I have 3gb memory and an Nvidia 8600 viedio card with 256mb Ram.

I am playing the COD5 game, and have a 50-50 chance of crashing with a blue screen, but only when exiting the game.

I get event Ids 1003 and 1001 each time.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 ba398d70, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Looking for help on how to diganose this issue.....

Jim

Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately, the tests came back clean, with no errors.
I reseated all 4 memory sticks and i'm still having the problem.
Funny part is, it only happens when I am attempting to quit the COD5 game.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

How many Passes did you allow memtest to run? 7 is the minimum recommendation.

Since your issue only seems to take place while exiting COD5 game it could be a video card driver. Try updating your vid card drivers.

I must admit just looking now that the guide i link to doesn't have a stated number of passes and so i apologise for not giving you more info.

Like Route44 correctly said you need at least 7 passes with Memtest before you can rule out a problematic RAM stick. This is very much an overnight piece of software and does indeed take a while to run.

Another program to try would be Prime95.
It stresses individual component and could bring you some results.
Run Prime95 then click "Torture test" under the "Options" menu, select "Blend", and then press "OK"

As to the other suggestion about the graphics card. This is also another possibility. Like Route44 said try updating the driver and see what happened.

Also try things like 3D Mark to check your 3D benchmark and also running DXDiag to test your Driect x. It probably wont give you much but try.

Run 3D benchmark through the link above and install.

For DXDiag click "Start", then "Run", then type in dxdiag and click OK. Go to the "Display" tab and there are a couple of test buttons you can push.Again like i say however the test are not really thorough but could bring something back

It appears to be my viedo card....

I ran the Prime95 test for several hours, with no hits.
I then used the NVidia diagnostics to test the card,
and it eventually failed with an error reading memory....

Card is less than 1 year old, so I'm trying to see what I can
do warranty wise with this...

Thank you all for your help

Ah it was OK it was either going to be RAM or graphics card but ram is easier to diagnose :p and i didn't know about Nvidia diagnostics so that's good to know.

Also im sure you can get help with it as I'm sure most come with at least a 2 year warranty and seeing as though you have used their own diagnostics software then it should make things better.

I can tell you this.
I will not buy anything else from XFX Technologies.
They are the maker of this particular card with the Nvidia chipset.

I opened a ticket 3 days ago, and it has not been addressed yet.
Their main page says they are experiencing higher volumes of traffic and it could take up to 72 hours before a technician responds. I'd say that is about 70 hours too long for me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back