Blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently my computer has been starting up, producing the 'Blue screen of death' then shutting down. I have managed to hold the error to see what it says.

Technical infomation:
Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x88F86020, 0x88F8616c, 0x82844B0)

The only thing i could think of that could of caused the problem is that around a week ago it was dropped from desk height.

It is a vista pavilian dv7.

Thanks

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message.

* Ouch! on the drop from a desk height.

* First thing that come to mind is the haddrive though a number of hardware issues could be in play here.

* Do you know the make of the harddrive?

Yes i just did something now. It said Error Hardrive followed by a number of digits.

Looks like i will need a new one.

I have it insured with PC world. Will they be able to transfer the data from the broken hard drive to a new one?

Retrieving information from a crashed harddrive costs serious $ but perhaps PC World may cover this. Honestly, I never heard of this insurance before so I can't really comment on what they cover.

There is the possibility of doing what they call "slaving a harddrive" into another system. Basically you remove your harddrive and connect it into another system and through that system access your harddrive and retrieve the information.

A lot will depend on the condition of the harddrive. But see first what PC World says.

Its basically i pay £15 a month, every month and in return its insured.

Do not take this the wrong way but if they transfered the Data onto a new hard drive would they in anyway check my internet history. I use a lot of dating websites which i would prefer people not to know about. A few of my friends work in PC world part time.

Its basically i pay £15 a month, every month and in return its insured.

Do not take this the wrong way but if they transfered the Data onto a new hard drive would they in anyway check my internet history. I use a lot of dating websites which i would prefer people not to know about. A few of my friends work in PC world part time.

Totally understand your concern. Ask them their privacy policy. There is another way but you need to have a friend or associate with tech knowledge and as I mentioned before slaving your harddrive into another system. Basically you remove your harddrive and connect it into another system and through that system access your harddrive and retrieve the information.

You could be right there accessing on your own doing the retrieving.

Thank you.:)

But would that mean they are likely or not to view it?

Again, you would have to ask them what their privacy policy is. I'm sure they are going to need to confirm that the OS/data transfer took place and is in working order. How far they go to determine they were successful is something they would have to explain to you.

Do they have the privacy policy in writing so that you can read it?

Most likely i have one somewhere. I will check my files in the morning.

Sorry to be a pain but it is possible and likely that i could of deleted my history ( I do every month, it speeds up the computer apparently) could they still gain access to it?

Most likely i have one somewhere. I will check my files in the morning.

Sorry to be a pain but it is possible and likely that i could of deleted my history ( I do every month, it speeds up the computer apparently) could they still gain access to it?

That depends on the measure to how far they are able to read your history. If it is a legit company they are only going to do what they promise to do and no more.

Keep in mind harddrive information can be accessed even if deleted. Only a full hard reformating of a disk followed by shotgun blasts from 5 feet away and then thrown away is the safe measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back