Blue Screen Of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been experiencing the following errors for weeks and still no clue of how to cure it despite of searching through all the websites and asked many computer technicans. If anyone can give me help I would be very appreaciated.

My computer will reboot itself about once every hour, giving me blue screen of death and the following error message :

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF80554E, 0XF7626B0C, 0X00000000)
Win32K.SYS – Address BF80554E base at BF800000, Date Stamp 45f13f6.

I couldn't find any similar errors in website but I suspected that it might be caused by bad ram or display driver. So I installed a new 1Gb DDR Ram, used a working display card taken out from another pc, and updated my display driver. Still no luck !! I then partitioned and reformated the two hdd (each 160G), reinstalled windows XP (with SP2) but still could not cure the error.

The following is my computer configuration :

• Intel P.4 2.8Ghz
  • Two 512MB DDR PC3200 Ram (forgot what brand)
  • Two Seagate 160GB Hard Drives (7200 / 8MB Serial ATA / EIDE)
  • One external 320GB Hitachi Hard Drive (7200 / 8 MB Serial ATA /EIDE)
  • One external 80GB Ximeta USB/Ethernet Netdrive
  • 500W Power Supply (bought separately after the one came with computer died)
  • ATI Stealth Radeon 9200SE with 128mb (with VGA & DVI connectors)
  • Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G)
Software include:
  • Windows XP Home (SP2)
  • Norton Interent Security 2007
  • Spy Sweeper (ver. 5.3.2 (build 2361))
  • Office XP Professional

Osho

Thanks Kitty500cat for quick response. I have already tried the method you recommended below for many times during the week, but still could not solve my problem. I even talked to the microsoft guys overphone for hours, the end result was "reason unknown" and I was advised to partition, reformat and reinstall windows. I tried that also but still no luck. Would it be a faulty motherboard? Any method to test motherboard?

-----------------
SYMPTOMS
When you try to change the Hardware Acceleration setting in the Display tool in Control Panel from None to Full, you may receive the following Stop error message in Win32k.sys:
STOP: 0x0000008E (c0000005, bf875fc3, f07bcd48, 00000000)
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Please navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and upload 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps as attachments into this thread.

Regards :)

All the dumps are exactly the same, and this is a sign of a software problem. See if updating your video card drivers has any effect.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf80554e, a5b2a774, 0}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!DC::vUpdate_VisRect+b )

Still no luck.

peterdiva said:
All the dumps are exactly the same, and this is a sign of a software problem. See if updating your video card drivers has any effect.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf80554e, a5b2a774, 0}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!DC::vUpdate_VisRect+b )

Even after updating to latest video driver, still had no luck and continued getting the win32k.sys blue screen. I now attach 3 latest minidump files of the recent crashs, hope anyone can get some clue out over them. Thanks a lot.

The process in those three dumps is RegistrySmart.exe. Uninstall RegistrySmart to see if it's the problem.

Hi, I have uninstalled RegistrySmart but still encountered the win32k.sys blue screen a few times this morning. I have attached another minidump files for investigation.

I know how to open a minidump file using dumpchk.exe, but how can I identify the culprit device (e.g. RegistrySmart) from the result? Please advise.

The dumps are still all the same. According to ATI THESE are the latest video card drivers. You may as well try them just in case.

You can find a brief dump file tutorial HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back