Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit

Hi everyone,

i've got some great tips from this board and would like to use it to solve my dreaded BSOD problem i've been having for a while.

The most common error is Error code 100000be, parameter1 e1ffd874, parameter2 0ee17174, parameter3 b9454f38, parameter4 0000000f.

I know it's a hardware or device driver but don't which one. I went for the usual graphics card and have upgraded it but still have the same issues. I would really appreciate someone viewing the attached dump files to help me sort it out.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jit.

One of the culprits is nv4_disp.dll which is of the Nvidia video cards. Many people have this issue. Just Google it and you will see. It certainly is a driver fault. The most common cause from what I can find is the failure to completely uninstall old video card drivers before installing the new one.

The workaround is to boot into safe mode and completely uninstall all video card drivers. Reboot and install your latest. I suggest disabling your antivirus first before installing.

Let us know if this works.

Thanks for looking into my problem.

This is actually my 3rd graphics card so i can see how remnants of the other 2 may still be around. However, the original card is built into the motherboard. Any advice on disabling it etc. ?

I'll try the uninstall in safe mode with antivirus disabled and let you know how it goes.

Jit.

Bsod

Hey Route 44,

no luck unfortunately. It's still crashing and usually while playing online games so the video card is still the biggest suspect. I've attached the latest dump files.

Fyi, i booted in safe mode and uninstalled the Nvidia drivers from add/remove. I then booted normally but cancelled the new hardware detected and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia. I also tried disabling the onboard card under bios but it only had 2 options: Enabled and Auto. I left it at Auto.

Thanks again for helping out...i would love to get this resolved.
Jit.

Okay, once again nv4_disp.dll was predominate, but errors showed in win32k.sys and a new one showed up which is nv4_mini.sys which is a Nvidia driver. Something is up with you video card driver.

What video card are you running? For curiosity sake have you run a Memory test using Memtest 86+ to see if your RAM is good? Also, do you have your integrated card disabled in the BIOS?

I ran the memory test last night with 4 passes and had no errors.

Anything else i could try? I really want to avoid reformating the machine if at all possible.

Thanks,
Jit.

The rule of thumb on MemTest is a minimum of 10 Passes. Anyway, I need to ask again, what video card and what driver are you running? Also, is your integrated card disabled in the BIOS?

Route44 said:
The rule of thumb on MemTest is a minimum of 10 Passes. Anyway, I need to ask again, what video card and what driver are you running? Also, is your integrated card disabled in the BIOS?

I'll try the MemTest again.

The graphics card is GeForce Fx 5500 and i believe the driver is ForceWare Release 90 Version: 94.24 but i will double check this tonight.

The integrated card is set to Auto. There were only 2 options, enabled and auto.

Thanks,
Jit.

jit said:
I'll try the MemTest again.

The graphics card is GeForce Fx 5500 and i believe the driver is ForceWare Release 90 Version: 94.24 but i will double check this tonight.

The integrated card is set to Auto. There were only 2 options, enabled and auto.

Thanks,
Jit.

They don't give you an option to disable?! :confused: Well that stinks. Your issue probably is the fact that you have two cards in conflict.

Route44 said:
They don't give you an option to disable?! :confused: Well that stinks. Your issue probably is the fact that you have two cards in conflict.

Hey Route44,

you're probably right. The only hardware changes i've made to this system is additional memory and a new graphics card. I went on Dell Forums and besides disabling the onboard graphics card from Device Manager, there is an option in the Bios to set the Primary Video controller to PCI instead of auto. I will try that tonight.

Jit.

peterdiva said:
What's yor RAM setup? Have you mixed old with new? Memtest isn't perfect.

You may be on to something. I checked it last night and i had the original PC2700 256MB memory in one slot and the new PC3200 256MB in the other slot. No errors from the memory test but like i said these are the only 2 changes i've made to the hardware.

I can buy new Ram but do i just get another PC3200 256MB or replace both with a 512MB? Also, is there a way to confirm that memory is the problem?

Jit.

Route 44,

i checked the BIOS again last night and primary video controller can only be set to onboard or auto. It was already set as Auto. The option below it was onboard video buffer with options of 1MB and 8MB. It is set at 1MB. Do you think that could be an issue?

Also, from my dump files do you think memory is the issue?

Thanks again,
Jit.

The fact that you have two video cards in your computer going at the same time with the integrated one unabled to be disabled is going to cause serious conflicts.

However, you seemed to have found a work-around through device manager. Is that helping or does your computer reset your integrated card to auto every time you boot up? Try and see if a new buffer setting will help. It couldn't hurt at this point!

Also, if your RAM is either faulty or configured wrongly then you'll experience many issues. peterdiva is one of the most knowlegeable people on these boards so I would run MemTest again but for at least 10 passes (start it before you go to bed and check it the next morning). Also, as peterdiva rightly points out, make sure your RAM configuration is correct.

I believe your PC3200 is backwards compatible with your PC 2700 but keep in mind the 3200 will run at the 2700 speeds and not vice-versa. make sure you have them in the right slots. if you don't have your manual to see if you have then go online a Google for a manual.

Have you considered building a PC in the future?

Is it possible for you to post your make and model of your DELL? (It is a DELL, correct?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back