Blue Screen on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there:

Got a pretty major problem. I was at a LAN party recently and while there I somehow downloaded a virus. This virus was a downloader I found out, and in the seconds it was there I got a ton more. Soon I was totally infected and it was hard to do basically anything. I worked and worked trying to clean it, and nothing worked. I rebooted to let Symantec deal with some cleanups it had to reboot for, and on the next startup I got a BSOD. I rebooted again and the BSOD comes back. Here's what the BSOD says:
Code:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer... etc.

Technical nformation:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0xF7717D70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory... etc.

So I decide to try and run Safe Mode, possibly get rid of the stuff that's causing it. I got it up in Safe Mode no problem, ran a Full Scan with Symantec, and got rid of a few more. Rebooted again and it still got the BSOD. So, I tried to repair Windows XP with the boot disc. I got the repair files loaded no problem, and then it said that I had to reboot and take the disc out to continue. I do so and it starts the Setup again, but when Setup says something like Setup is restarting..., it goes to the BSOD again. Of course now I can't go back to Safe Mode at all because I'm in the middle of setup, and I can't run setup because of the BSOD.

If anyone has any experience with this please help, I have a lot of information on that hard drive that I need to save and I don't know how to get around the setup thing to copy it over to a different comp for a reinstall of XP. I could format it if I absolutely needed to, but if there's any chance at all I can keep my things I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back