Blue screen start-up. no xp cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please help me!!!!! Recently my computer shut down and rebooted on to the same message. The message was as follows:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

After I make a choice windows proceeds to only a blue flash of a screen and the it reboots over and over with the same blue screen. I have a Dell Dim. 5150 with 1gb and 320gb hard drive. Ive tried everything and im at the end of my ropes. So someone please help me.

ps. i don't have a xp cd

here's the code
***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X86FE0030, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

it's my brothers pc so i don't know what he was doing with it.
any thing else?

Well it's a HDD issue. Check that the cables are plug-in securely. Is it a SATA drive (smallish red cable, not the ribbon IDE cable), they can loosen up easily, especially if your bro was working inside the case for any reason.

Either there are 2 cables to the HDD, one is data and the other is power supply.

Can you enter BIOS? Double check that it's booting off the correct drive.

yeah it has 2 sata drives, but one has the red cable and the other has the blue ribbon cable that's data cable i'm talking about. and they both have power cables, i'll check if i can get into bios now!
thanks.

i can't even get into my bios!

i'm thinking of switching my hard drives around and installing a new os in one and then format the other. but i don't want to buy a new os. any ideas?

Hmm, even if the HDDs are dead you should be able to get into BIOS though.
Maybe the PSU died. That would be good news compared to reinstalling all your apps and windows after formatting. Unplug both HDD and then boot up, holding DEL to enter BIOS (could be diff key on your pc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back