Blue Screen Stop 0xBE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgonnella41

Hello, everything on my PC (A Dell, with Windows XP) had been running fine. This morning, the blue screen of death popped up with the message

Stop 0x000000BE (0x806ED800, 0x006ED121, 0xF96DD788, 0x0000000B) and also the 'write read only memory.'
The major problem is that the blue screen still occurs in Safe Mode, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. I assume it's something with the drivers...but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be a failed memory module... ?
If you have two memory modules, remove the second one with the machine off, and reboot.
Then if that works, shut down, remove that memory module, and insert the other one in the first space... that is just a quick test. If one works and the other does not, you buy more memory. Otherwise, you have to look elsewhere.
With those codes it could be any of a number of hardware failures other than memory, but what you see is a memory dump due to the shutdown of something that is not working correctly.
Have you changed any drivers recently?

I haven't messed with the drivers, could you please explain in more detail about the memory modules. I'm unfamiliar with them.

We will need to know your computer brand and model before we can help you with memory stuff as it varies from machine to machine on what you do.

Recovery console is tough stuff... most techs don't even know how to use it...

What you need is a diagnosis before you can decide on a fix...

It is likely that software went bad, or some hardware item went bad...

If you can post the service tag number from the bottom of the computer, that would help.

Have you been able to reboot since? if so,
You should also try this... look at the Device Manager for hardware issues. Go to
Start->Control Panel->System->hardware->Device Manager

Then look up and down the list of devices installed on the computer to see if any have red, yellow, or gray flags signifying that something needs attention.

Is your Dell Restore Disk for Windows XP Home, or Windows XP Professional?
With the Service Tag we can tell a lot about the computer. There are many folks here on TechSpot who have worked on thousands of Dell laptops... The Service Tag tells us the configuration and sometimes the ages of certain components.

From Dell: "There is no configuration information associated with this system." So either I typed it incorrectly, or there is an error on one digit 1STG251... could you re-check

1STG251 is correct. It's a DELL Inspiron 4600, XP Home Edition. Is there any possibility I could recover docs and files from the C drive? Or if I can't log on they're pretty much gone?

Dell reports that computer as six years old, built 11Jun2004. When new, it had an 80 GB hard drive, 128 mb of memory, HLDS CD/DVD Drive, Flat Panel monitor, AGP 8X video slot, and a full complement of audio and video components.
It has a reputation as a good machine, but is desperately in need of a new hard drive, new CD-DVD drive, and at least 1 GB of memory.
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.If your model uses the Pentium 4 with a 800MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) you must use the PC3200 parts. If your system has the Pentium 4 with the 533MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) you can use either the PC2700 or PC3200 memory modules. It is best that all memory modules are of the same speed... preferably PC3200.
Perhaps you have replaced some components, but if you, you have enough age and wear on that machine to cause all sorts of problems. Even an unused modem, can cause erratic operation and blue screens.
Were it mine, I would install a new EIDE hard drive of 250 GB to 500 GB
3 gb of RAM Memory in 2 1-GB modules, and 2 GB of 500 MB modules, since Windows XP will only utilize 3 GB of the 4 GB capacity
a new Video Graphics card of AGP 8X type.
You can also print out a copy of your packing slip and configuration by entering the service tag at www.dell.com under Home Computer Support.

If it is the original hard drive, cleaning or reformatting the drive would seem to me to be a waste of time... Hard drives seldom last through six years of average use.
Save the old hard drive to rescue your old data while you still can, as a slave, or in a USB external enclosure.
I was serious about what I said would be my choice if it were my computer.
We find all the Inspirons work out pretty well, as long as they are not in the bottom third of the price range.
If cost is a consideration, go to www.dell.com, then look for Dell Outlet... where you can often save as much as $200 on a computer that has just had a good going over by a Dell certified Tech..
But we have seen no negative reports on the 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back