Blue screen while Vista is loading? Please help

By pingpong123
Feb 14, 2010
  1. My lenovo y530 64bit system with vista64 home premium pre-installed just crashed (i do not know the reason), Recovery utility of lenovo do not work anymore. i then reformatted my HD and fresh installed vista32 from usb since my CD drive is broken. installation goes well. but why is it the blue screen appears everytime my vista32bit is loading (blue screen after the loading bar)? pls help me. i have 4gig of memory. is it possible that the pre-installed vista64 before is preventing vista32 to load? what can i do? Pls help.
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

That can't happen; as you reformated you hard disk. Probability is some sort of hardware issue is causing this. Can you give us error code? which windows might display upon BSOD

Also, when your notebook POST start pressing F8 and try to boot in safe mode, to see whether that works.

I hope some mod will move this post to the correct forum.
  3. pingpong123

pingpong123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for responding!
    nothing works, safemode, etc.
    the BSOD is this
    0x0000007b (0XFFFFF998000407980,0XFFFFFFFFC0000034,0x00000000000000, 0x00000000000000)
    I again reformatted my disk hoping this time it would work, but the same problem occurs..
  4. Archean

There are two things which needs to be addressed here:

1. In the BIOS setup your notebook, check whether you may have changed the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification, if so set it to auto or sata or default (you may have to re-install to load the correct driver).
    2. Ensure that the media you are using for installation, is it 'Clean' and is not infected in any way 'with boot sector viruses'.
    3. Secondly, if you do not have any data on that HDD that you need ; you are better off erasing all the existing partition(s), creating new one and than trying to reinstall windows.

Please let me know if you need further information/help. Regards
  5. pingpong123

pingpong123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks Archean!!

in the bios, I selected "SATA CONFIGURATIONS" and theres only 2 choices to select AHCI and IDE theres no AUTO, SATA or DEFAULT. I tried selecting AHCI and reboot, same problem occurs so is when i selected IDE. Is there other way to re-install to load the correct drivers? i have tried reformatting, installing for vista for several times now..
    Originally i have 3 partitions, i deleted all partitions and make them 1 active primary.

i have no reliable anti virus, Later I will ask my friend to scan my USB installer to check if its clean and will inform u of the result.

Thank you Archean!
  6. Archean

It will be good idea to get that media scanned, to ensure that its clean, because some boot sector viruses can cause such problem while installation.

Now as Vista has SATA support from the get go, you don't have to worry about the compatibility issue, hence setting the Sata Configuration as 'AHCI' is perfectly alright.

Lastly, you can have a single large partition to install your OS, or multiple smaller ones according to your needs, that's a non issue. Just keep in mind that OS partition be around 80 GB at least giving you some future headroom.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.