TechSpot

blue tooth dongle

By focus_water
Mar 27, 2006
  1. i was going to buy a blue tooth dongle. i was wondering if it will help me find my cell phone.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If your phone has Bluetooth, the dongle will allow you to transfer data between the PC & the phone. It will not tell you how close the phone is or its location.

ps. wouldn't it be simpler to simply call your phone & locate it from the ringtone ?

3. focus_water

focus_water TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 168

will it work if the phone is off or will it get any reply

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Nothing will work if the phone is off.

5. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

except the alarm. Mine wakes itself up to try and wake me up.

Slightly besides the point though. lol

6. focus_water

so i cant find the phone if the phone is off, cause all i want it for is to find out what house it is in.

7. Spike

This just gets stranger and stranger. lol.

Am I correct in thinking you want to find a phone you don't own, because surely you'd know where your own phone was?

Anyway, if it's off, you're outta luck. You'll have to do it the normal way and look for it.

8. focus_water

it is a friend of mines phone and it was stolen and i want to find it for him.
    he paid $1500 for it.

9. Spike

phones can't be traced that accurately I'm afraid, and bluetooth wond make that fact any different.

The only identifying feature that a stolen phone will retain if the sim is changed is its IMEI, and even that can be re-written if the right software and cable is used.

10. focus_water

all i want is what area it is in. it doesnt matter if it is 5 miles away

11. Spike

As I said in a previous thread you started, there are services you can use to do that, but the phone has to be registered with them. I also gave you a link to two such services. Besides these, there's nothing else the likes of you and me can do.

Even if you are able to register the phone by either sim or IMEI with one of these services, if the sim or IMEI have been changed, then it's to all intents a different phone anyway as far as tracking it is concerned.

12. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

focus_water
    you should learn to stop 'bragging' about something you don't even know the basics about!
    Stick to PC-related questions on these forums or take a hike!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.