TechSpot

Bluescreen and boot up issues with Vista 32bit

By Paaaulo
Aug 26, 2008
  1. When i start my pc up sometimes it gets to boot from disk then just shows a blackscreen, or just shows a black screen from when i turn it on, once i got loads of white lines across the screen and today when i tryed turning it on i got a blue screen saying something about windows having an error, the computer shut itself down too fast for me to read it. If i manage to get to boot windows it says "windows had to shut down" or something then gives me the option to boot in safe mode, if i chose start windows normallyi just get a black screen, if i chose safe mode it loads up fine. Then if i restart from safe mode windows boots up normally fine.

Yesterday the pc shut itself down while i was playing music too, it has only shut itself down from windows once while playing music. I've ran a memory check useing the vista disk and my RAM has no errors. Is it possible my motherboard or graphics card is broken? The last things i installed where GeForce PhysX drivers, fraps and PC Probe II.

My mobo is a P5Q Deluxe and my graphics card is a 512mb 8800GT.

When i started in safemode it gave me some info about what happened, here it is:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C000001D
    BCP2: 81C92ABF
    BCP3: 8B56B268
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082608-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-62806-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDD63.tmp.version.txt

I've had this PC about 2 weeks (built it myself) and ive had no problems till now, so im rather confused has started happening. Ive been defragging the hard drive every week too and as i said earlier i have checked my RAM (4gb corsair TwinX).
    I'll upload a minidump (had to zip it as it was 30kb over the boards limit), and i will be grateful for any light you can shed on my problems.

Attached Files:

2. Paaaulo

Paaaulo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just got another blue screen, this time while playing Flatout:UC with winamp playing music in the background.

I've attached the minidump.

Attached Files:

3. woody1191

woody1191 TS Rookie Posts: 572

The MiniDumps cite 2 different Drivers "aswMonFlt.sys" and "sptd.sys", the first is a Avast Anti-Virus Driver and the other a Daemon Tools Driver.

Quite a few have came up with this where Avast doesn't seem to like Daemon Tools, you need to choose to uninstall one of the Programs and use a Alternative.

4. Paaaulo

I uninstalled Daemon Tools last night and everything was fine, then shortly after i started up my pc this morning i got a bluescreen again. It said this in the error:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 7f
    BCP1: 0000000D
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

I've attached the minidump.

5. Paaaulo

I made the previous post in safe mode, restarted to normal windows, and its bluescreened shortly after starting up. I havnt had any bluescreen from safe mode yet, so im hopeing this is a software problem, im going to try uninstalling avast. What good free anti-virus programs are out there?

I've also attached a minidump from this bluescreen.

6. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

7. Paaaulo

Thanks im trying that now, i took out one of my ram sticks and that seems to have fixed the problem. Is it possible this could be completely unrelated and it is a software problem?

As i was bluescreening in safemode i dont think safemode would load up the daemon tools related drivers, so it could be my ram im thinking. Either way ill try removeing those drivers.

8. Paaaulo

when i try and remove the SPTD from the registery it says "Cannot delete sptd: Error while deleteing key." ive change the permissions so i can delete it, im not sure why its stopping me.

9. Paaaulo

It looks like it was a ram problem, with one of my sticks in the PC wont boot, with the other in it works fine.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.