Bluescreen & Debug analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Yesterday I got a Bluescreen all of a sudden (while playing Civilization IV)
So today I analyzed the dump File and it gives me direction towards a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error.
I already have an idea which component it might be (probably my external Aureon Soundcard ?) but I can't really interpret the crash report, except for the information that maybe win32k.sys is a faulty component (so some hardware stuff) or that a driver was loaded at a wrong address (IRQL Error).

Could you give me some further instructions on how to proceed with the information contained in the error report.
I also added a screenshot of my Device Manager (View -> Ressources by Interrupts)

As far as I know all drivers should be at the newest version.
I have a rather old computer btw:

Asus A7N8XE - Deluxe
Athlon XP 3000+
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 LE
TerraTec Aureon 5.1 MK II USB Soundcard

See the attachments for the dump report and my Screenshot of the device manager

Greetings

Tolwyn

Well, you have either a device or a driver problem. Does it go away when you remove the sound card? Modem? Other PCI device? Suspect everything. The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL notice is usually a driver, but it can be a bad device or something just wearing out.
None of those codes will give you an accurate report on what is wrong. You are faced with some "remove and test" procedures.
Otherwise, it is the video graphics card, inadequate memory, or power supply.
That machine generates a great deal of heat. Is your CPU fan up to the task. Replace it (and heat sink) if over three years old. Look for other heat-related issues.
It is a good idea to rule out some things as you boil down the reasons. So run MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes.
Be sure you have removed or disabled old drivers as you install new ones.
Remove your power supply to clean the fan blades and blow out dust with Canned air. It it is not at least 400 watts and high quality, that would be my first suspect.

hi

ok, so there's nothing more to be seen in this report, than the things you have already confirmed.

It might be a good idea to test the RAM and maybe put some new paste on the CPU heat sink though.

My cpu fan is adjustable. But I should be checking the temperatures from time to time.
Last time i checked they were ok. (about 65° and less than 60)

My power supply is a BeQuiet "Semi Automatic" 400W (dont know type specification atm) and the fan is almost always in Off.(not needed)
Got some 120mm fans above and beneath and two 90mm fans at the site.

I got no other PCi Devices installed.

but i will check on that Ram and CPU iussue.
If the problem will occur more frequently in the future I might think about changing my soundcard.

Basicallly I just wanted to improve my Troubleshooting skills in reading the windows error report.

Thanks for your input.
I have appreciated it.

Greets
Tolwyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back