Blu's Pure XL is a 6-inch flagship smartphone for just $349

Scorpus

Staff member

If you were thinking about dropping $740 for a new Samsung Galaxy Note 5, you might want to think again. Blu, known for their budget devices, have just launched the Pure XL, and it's a pretty attractive 6-inch smartphone packing high-end specifications for just $349.

The 6-inch display on the front of the Pure XL is a Super AMOLED with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, putting it squarely in competition with the Galaxy Note 5's 5.7-inch 1440p AMOLED display. On the back we're looking at a 24-megapixel camera capable of 4K video recording, complemented by an 8-megapixel shooter on the front.

Inside the smartphone, Blu has opted for MediaTek's Helio X10 SoC, which features a 2.0 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU alongside a PowerVR G6200 GPU and Category 4 LTE support. There's also 3 GB of RAM, 64 GB of expandable storage, and a 3,500 mAh battery.

The Blu Pure XL's body is made from aluminum, contains a rear fingerprint scanner and a dedicated camera button, and is somewhat thick at 9.6mm. We're also looking at quick charging support, and two SIM card slots.

Compared to other high-end smartphones like the Note 5 and the OnePlus 2, the Pure XL is a very compelling option for just $349 unlocked and off-contract. The device goes on-sale exclusively through Amazon on September 29th.

Permalink to story.

Wow seems like a great value. Does anyone have experience with Blu phones? Do they have lots of bloatware?

Not sure how the blu holds up, but almost 2 years ago, I bought a mid spec phone with a 6.1" 720p
screen, snapdragon 400, 2gb ram, ext SD, 4,000mAH battery JB4.3, 13mp camera. Huawei Mate2 for just $300. It's been without a doubt the best 300 bucks I ever spent! Even with the mid specs, it's snappy,
takes excellent photos, screen is crystal clear, not one issue.
Sadly, Huawei seems to be headed to the samsung/apple/htc side, given they are making the new nexus
phone, and their prices of their devices are reflecting that. Some of the newer devices of similar 5+ inch
screens are running more to the 600 dollar range. If the BLU turns out to be a good device, I'll get one.
That price point is my sweet spot. I just can see dropping 600 to 1,000 bucks on a flippin' phone.

I bought a BLU Android Phone for my brother when Android had just (at the time) updated to 4.2 JellyBean. The first phone was super budget and was TERRIBLE in every way. The 2nd one however was really surprisingly great. The screen was calibrated nicely and was all around quite nice. The performance was good. Graphics weren't a strong suite but it wasn't a SnapDragon sooo. Everything about the phone was very good but the best was the camera, especially the video. It shot video so well it just surprised the hell out of me. Only problem? Don't ever count on your phone to be updated regularly. And warranty? Goodluck contacting them. Not sure if it even comes with a warranty. The updating part may have changed recently with Lollipop OTA updates but I'm not sure. If I had to choose, I'd probably pay the extra money for a Moto X Style Pure Edition but this thing has some features it doesn't such as a fingerprint reader.

I've bought three Blu 6.0 HD phones. Two for me(cracked the screen on one, totally my fault) and one for my husband. I love them. No bloatware, great response time, unlocked and able to hotspot on Straighttalk. I've owned iPhones and HTC droid models. I contacted them about my broken screen and they returned my email within three days. They wanted $75 to repair but at $130, I decided to just buy another. Mine also has two slots for sim cards and expandable sd card slot. The only thing is the camera is not as great as some phones out there. Other models such as this one have a better camera. Otherwise, it's one of the best choices in phones, esp. unlocked that I have ever made.

Back