Bolivia tells Bill Gates it doesn't want his chickens

midian182

Staff member

It was reported last week that Bill Gates had launched the Coop Dreams campaign, an initiative that aims to donate 100,000 chickens to impoverished nations across the world. Gates' plan may have good intentions, but Bolivia, one of the countries reportedly set to receive the birds, has rejected the “offensive” donation.

The Microsoft co-founder said he would team up with Heifer International - a charity attempting to eradicate poverty and hunger through livestock donations and agricultural training - to distribute chickens to countries with high levels of poverty, mostly located across sub-Saharan Africa but including Bolivia.

César Cocarico, Bolivia’s minister of development, said the country found Gates’ offer insulting. “How can he think we are living 500 years ago, in the middle of the jungle not knowing how to produce?” he asked. “Respectfully, he should stop talking about Bolivia and once he knows more, apologize to us.”

According to the Bolivian Institute of Foreign Trade, the country saw a 35 percent increase in egg and chicken produce between 2008 and 2014. It now produces 197 million chickens annually, and has the capacity to export 36 million.

The country also takes offense at being seen as an underveloped nation in need of the birds. The International Monetary Fund predicts Bolivia’s GDP will increase 3.8 percent this year, and it continues to be the strongest economy in South America.

Cocarico said Gates should "inform himself that us Bolivians have a lot of production and do not need any gifted chicks in order to live, we have dignity." He added: "It think it’s rude coming from a magnate that does not know Bolivia’s reality."

Image credit: Frederic Legrand - COMEO / Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

The country also takes offense at being seen as an underveloped nation in need of the birds. The International Monetary Fund predicts Bolivia’s GDP will increase 3.8 percent this year, and it continues to be the strongest economy in South America.

Wow is this a twisted fact. I just Googled Bolivia to see how 'rich' they were, and they're the poorest country in South America. It's probably easy to grow by 3.8% when you're starting from so little. 64% of the country is below the poverty line and the per capital income is $2,800 compared to the average for South America at $8,200. They stopped receiving foreign aid from the US in 2013 because they said they didn't want it anymore. Even though so many of them are dirt poor.

It looks like they are the ones in the greatest need - at least on that continent.

Once again it looks like the biggest thing standing between poor people and a better life is govt. It is not a coincidence that the richest country in the world started with a govt with very low involvement. Giving people the freedom to make their own lives better will produce better results than relying on the govt to do it every single time. We need to be reminded of this every so often.

If they don't want Gates paltry poultry offer, they are completely entitled to do so and if some folks don't like the way they did it...too bad, harden up a little folks
I agree though that it seems far too often that governments are the bane of their people

So, as a Chilean (Neighbour to Bolivia) I know a bit more about their policies...

This is only political, has nothing to do with their poverty, nor their growth. Current Bolivian president Evo Morales has stayed in power only through the use of nationalist campaigns and marketing, they make themselves look strong among a very illiterate and uneducated population, maintaining conflict with neighbour countries in order to overlook their internal struggles.

By doing this political circus they are "sticking it to the evil man", even when they could have really used it.

So, as a Chilean (Neighbour to Bolivia) I know a bit more about their policies...

This is only political, has nothing to do with their poverty, nor their growth. Current Bolivian president Evo Morales has stayed in power only through the use of nationalist campaigns and marketing, they make themselves look strong among a very illiterate and uneducated population, maintaining conflict with neighbour countries in order to overlook their internal struggles.

By doing this political circus they are "sticking it to the evil man", even when they could have really used it.
I appreciate the insight. Don't tell Bolivia about my appreciation though, they might get offended by it.

Anyone notice the Bolivian minister of development's name, César Cocarico? The funny thing is the "Cocarico" is the exact sound a Greek rooster makes (as least that is how we imitate one when reading stories to our young).

And would his donation include the grain to feed the chickens? Pens to keep them safe from others that have a taste for chickens? Markets to buy the chickens, process their eggs, and help distribute them? If all the old boy was distributing was the bird it would appear that the yolks on him!

Do you know anything about bolivia?
The article clearly talks about Bolivia not having the need for 100,000 hens, the article doesn't cover other needs their country have I may add, however your comment is out of context. Tell me how 100,000 hens are going to make Bolivia get out of poverty please?

Well, bolivia, you can starve and continue to be poor then.
Did you even read the article before commenting?
the statement that Bolivia is doing "fine" without help is not true. it's just politics.

The article clearly talks about Bolivia not having the need for 100,000 hens, the article doesn't cover other needs their country have I may add, however your comment is out of context. Tell me how 100,000 hens are going to make Bolivia get out of poverty please?
does it need to fix the country's problems? if a few people manage to live better thanks to the free food then the charity did it's job.

With a population of ~10 million and an annual production of 190 million chickens, that means each person can only eat 19 chickens a year. Please, tell me how bolivia has this under control.

I totally believe this. Keeping the population uneducated, poor, and most importantly unarmed - is step 1, 2 and 3 in the evil dictatorship handbook. It also explains why they turned down US aid in 2013.

Anyone notice the Bolivian minister of development's name, César Cocarico? The funny thing is the "Cocarico" is the exact sound a Greek rooster makes (as least that is how we imitate one when reading stories to our young).
Could also be translated to delicious cocaine!

Hey guys! This country was offended by the gesture and used unkind words! Let's get offended by them being offended and talk **** about them. HEY! let's all just act bigger than the next while talking **** like the next... lets do it!

And would his donation include the grain to feed the chickens? Pens to keep them safe from others that have a taste for chickens? Markets to buy the chickens, process their eggs, and help distribute them? If all the old boy was distributing was the bird it would appear that the yolks on him!

They come with Windows 10

Back