TechSpot

Bookmarks with multiple machines

By Cristy_m
Apr 24, 2010
  1. O.K I am sure there is a dumb way to do this that I am going to smack myself in the forehead for not thinking of but does anyone have a way to manage their bookmarks to hit on several machines? Lately I walk around our home network a lot only to find my bookmarks miss managed.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

hmm; the bookmarks are managed per Broswer and per User ID.

Even if you were to save them to a commonly shared drive and then import them
    everywhere, the additions/deletions would not be to the shared version, so
    you don't get the single point of control that would be every so nice; :sigh:

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Depending on the browser you use you could have them sync over the Internet. Google Chrome has this feature built-in (provided you have a Google account) & I believe most major browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE) support Xmarks.

4. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Thanks for that bit of info as well, Didou! I'm gonna have to look into using that myself! (managing bookmarks across machines.. or even just one machine with a dual boot is pain!)

5. jobeard

Very interesting :)

6. Cristy_m

Cristy_m TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

That is so cool. I used it with firefox and started a second (firefox) profile on the box hubby and I share one user profile on! Very cool!

7. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I've been using Xmarks now for ages (previously foxmarks) and I find its provides the perfect, bookmarks solution I was forever longing for!

Now, no matter what computer I use in our house, I open firefox and my very latest bookmarks are there exactly as the last machine. I find it very useful if I'm hunting for stuff too, as I can use a computer, and then switch to a laptop and get comfy on the sofa and read information I've bookmarked.

It works outstandingly. I seriously, seriously recommend xmarks. It also works with googles browser, safari (win/OSX), and firefox (linux, unix, OSX, windows), and I think it also works with IE too.

Currently I use Safari on my Imac, and firefox on windows and linux laptops and computers, all without problems. I even have xmarks running on safari and firefox on my Imac without an issue. I also use it on firefox installations I have running virtually using Sun Virtualbox.

Its absolute genius and I really don't know how I managed before I stumbled on it ages ago.

8. jobeard

thanks for the feedback :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.