Boot Chrome OS from a USB drive

By Jos
Nov 25, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You don't have to wait until sometime in 2010 to try Google's web-centric operating system on your netbook. Since its unveiling to the world a few days ago people have been eager to know how well it performs -- even at this early stage -- and with the source code available online details on how to set up and run a virtual machine version were quick to emerge.

Read the whole story
  2. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

I hope someone comes out with a 3D FPS. Hopefully a variation of Robin Hood.
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 893   +98

I really hope that Chrome OS does well, one day maybe it will be suitable to replace windows on more than just netbooks. That 22 second load time is probably dependent on the USB drive being used too.
  4. yangly18

yangly18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 242

well just load that on a USB 3 and you're all set
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Mmm good for on the go e-mail with dual-booting, will check and give some feedback.
  6. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,023   +90

since it is based on linux i doesn't come as a surprise that they were able to put it on a thumb drive. Lately i've been playing around with bootable thumb drives. A few days ago i made one with windows xp setup on it. very useful when you need to install windows on a netbook (or you simply just don't have a working CD-ROM).
  7. Its asking me for my gmail user name and password at the main login screen when i try to boot.
  8. codefeenix

codefeenix Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

I am not going to enter my gmail uname/pword into something not prepared by someone i trust.
  9. fref

fref TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

What sort of an OS is this exactly? Is it only for web related stuff or could someone install a photo edition program, word processor, etc.?
  10. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

I personally love google android but idk about this os it seems like it would be nice for a netbook which with limited space and no cd drive would help a lot still i have to question the reasons why google wants to bring this os out. dont get me wrong if they get this thing going and it can compete with windows then im all for it.
  11. Serag

Serag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

I share the same concerns of other comments...Though it seems like an awesome idea

12. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

Sounds cool. Might wait for a bit though.
  13. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I wish the download was not a torrent, as I've had bad experiences with them in the past. I've used Chrome OS on a virtual machine, but the performance was very poor, so I would really like to try it out natively on my netbook.
  14. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

Technochicken, I am glad they released it as a torrent, it means that if loads of people trys downloading at same time, the servers won't crash/ people get uber slow download speeds.

Now Seed away peeps!
  15. ColdPreacher

ColdPreacher Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

Nice to see another OS being able to boot up from USB. I like the fact that you can carry a Os around that you are use to and run it on any PC that supports USB boot up.
  16. AtomicPlayboy

AtomicPlayboy Newcomer, in training

Chrome OS is definitely NOT for me, but I can see myself getting all of my relatives (to whom I provide endless tech support) using it on their laptops as soon as possible.
  17. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Hm...now to find them USB drives.
  18. redtigerdragon

redtigerdragon Newcomer, in training

I don't think testing it now is such a great idea. From the sounds of it, when it does release it will only release on certain hardware, and be very cloud-limited...

19. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

That's exactly what I said today!
    my post was like "it would be perfect if I could run it off a usb stick"! lol
    I'm definitely trying this out on the eeepc, it makes surfing much faster than XP i would imagine
  20. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

Really? This is awesome news :D wow, I told myself, the GoogleOS is going places.
  21. Fada

Fada Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

i cant really see this taking off at all, its only use that i can see is on mobile platforms like iphones, but they already have android for that so...?
  22. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

Im sure google has there reasons but i think if your just going to surf the net and do simple tasks this would be great for portable devices and the like.
  23. drasho

drasho Newcomer, in training Posts: 62

im not sure if this os will take alot of the share but it a nice start for peolple that just feel like surfing the web =)
  24. harby

harby Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Well, I'm not exactly impressed. I'd hardly call it an operating system at this point. But who knoes how it will evolve, lets wait and see.
  25. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 239   +11

I don't really know what to think about Chrome. There are lots of separate Operating Systems that have had minor success, but those have mostly been freeware such as Ubuntu Linux and whatnot. I don't really see how Chrome would bring very much that's "new" to the table when Windows 7 is already grabbing hold so darn well.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.