Boot Failure and Slow PC

My PC has had a lot of Disk Boot Failure issues over the past few days and I have tried some things, such as scanning for viruses, malware, deleting programmes that just sit on my desktop doing nothing.

None of those seem to have done anything, yes I have been able to get to my desktop on rare occasions after numerous booting attempts.

The problems started two days ago. I turned my PC on and when I came back to expect to see my desktop there it was, the Disk boot failure error.

In the past I have seen this message a lot, but we replaced parts since then and I haven't had this message at all after that. Now a good few months later here it is, again!

I have tried using my disk to boot it, but most of the time it just slows down and doesn't get anywhere past the screen (windows 7 screen just before desktop after 'starting windows').

Also my PC is slow when i actually get onto the desktop (at times not all the time, sometimes programmes cause it to lag/slow down/crash).

A friend thinks this may be a hardrive problem, perhaps even a memory problem. It isn't the same message all the time or sometimes it doesn't even get to the same points before seeming to crash on me. I'm not a brainiac when it comes to this sort of thing, is there a way i can check my computer's memory while the PC is on?

Sorry if this seems no help, I may have to take it to a computer shop.

Scan the hard drive for defects using either the manufacturers utility, HDTune, or Hitachi's drive fitness test and see if you get any errors.

Scan the hard drive for defects using either the manufacturers utility, HDTune, or Hitachi's drive fitness test and see if you get any errors.

Will do, currently repairing my PC with the chkdsk. Is it normal for it to really slow down in parts?

Will do, currently repairing my PC with the chkdsk. Is it normal for it to really slow down in parts?

I'll leave this to JMMD but, yes, chkdsk does slow down from time to time. What chkdsk are you using?

Back