Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have problem my computer dosent want to boot. When i try boot windows, I get a series of messages :

Intel UNDI, PXE - 2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter v 2.15 (2002/10/09)

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready

------------------------------------------------------------

My boot device sequence is:
1.FDD USB
2.CD/DVD
3.HDD

But bios dosent see my HDD.

Somehow Windows boot, i coudnt belive, then i restar comp for chceck, all was fine. I thouth it was some virus so i formated disk and instal Win again, nothing else then i turn off. The next day i wanted to boot, the same has happend ... again that messages. I didnt know what thing about it at all. Now I think the reason of that my windows doesnt start can be corruption of boot sector. Please can you help me.

My computer is lapto model AV3220H1-01 (http://www.averatec.com/archives/3220series.htm)

Sorry if there is post like my post. I just couldnt find or i didnt understan them.

Try removing the FDD from the USB and reboot. If that doesn't work, change the boot order in the BIOS so that the HDD boots first, and reboot.

Ok. I have done it but still cant boot computer.

I've changed boot sequenc in BIOS, now is :

1.CD/DVD
2.HDD
3.Disable

My computer doesnt see HDD.

sfxsfx said:
Ok. I have done it but still cant boot computer.......My computer doesnt see HDD.

Do you get a different error message this time, or is it the same as before? Please specify.

In the meantime, assuming the problem is as you state, above, there could be a physical problem in the connection of the HDD to the motherboard or a problem in the boot sector of the HDD.

1) If you are confident in opening the laptop, check the connection of the IDE cable to the HDD and the MOBO. Make sure the connectors are seated properly, and inspect the cable for defects and look on the MOBO for capacitors which have "blown."

2) Go to the following link and review the commands available to you to diagnose and fix the boot sector of the HDD using the Recovery Console of your WinXP Installation CD. I am specifically referring to chkdsk /r, bootcfg /default and fixmbr.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

No.I have got the same messages.

I cant open computer. I dont have permission.

I tryied your's second proposition but unsuccessfully. When i use the Recovery Console of my WinXP Installation CD there is tell somekind like this : " You dont have HDD etc. "

sfxsfx said:
No.I have got the same messages.

I cant open computer. I dont have permission.

I tryied your's second proposition but unsuccessfully. When i use the Recovery Console of my WinXP Installation CD there is tell somekind like this : " You dont have HDD etc. "

1) The message just says it can't boot, and boot is exiting the sequence. Since your boot sector is on the HDD, it means that BIOS either doesn't see the HDD, or there is something wrong in the boot sector.

2) If you cannot open the computer, you cannot check HDD-to-MOBO connections, the IDE cable or the condition of the IDE controller on the MOBO (i.e. capacitors).

3) If I interpret your response correctly, and you are not being very precise in reporting exactly what the error message says, it looks like when you went into the Recovery Console, you received a message that in-effect stated that there "was not an HDD present." If this is true, your HDD is isolated and not seen by the CD (or BIOS when booting normally), which could be caused by a multiplicity of problems like, for example, the HDD data connector is faulty or not seated properly, to either the HDD or MOBO, or the power cable to the HDD is not connected or the cable is faulty, or the IDE controller could be faulty,or -----------etc. Or the HDD is dead.

You need to get someone who is authorized to open the laptop and diagnose the problem. This may included removing the HDD and testing it on another computer.

As a note aside, look at the following thread. It portrays a similar problem.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic22441.html

I got the same problem, really irritating.
Just press ctrl+alt+del when "Reboot and select..." appears, and it boots.

ptl said:
I got the same problem, really irritating.
Just press ctrl+alt+del when "Reboot and select..." appears, and it boots.

When you start up (cold boot) the BIOS goes through POST (Power On Self Test). When you reboot, POST is not performed. If, for example, you have an intermittent connection in the IDE data cable (like the connector is not seated properly), boot will hang during POST if the connection is not made in the time allotted, while it may wait long enough during reboot such that boot finally proceeds. Eventually, if the connection disconnects permanently, you will not be able to boot. This is just one example, but I present it to you to illustrate that, so far, you may be just avoiding the inevitable, and that you would be better served to address the problem now.

Fixed it!
Moved the harddisk cables a little while, got nowhere...
Figured out it might have been the DVD / CD-Rom cable bacause it had a huge bend. Pulled it out, and now its fine!
YAY!

Edit: Tinkered a little bit with the Cable and found out that only the connection to the CD-Rom was bad, put in a new cable for it, Fixed!

I have still the problem :eek:

I had opened my laptop ( that wasnt easy :/ ) and i took out HDD.
I only have to check it. I've just ordered a special adapter (2,5" HDD to 3,5")

I will tell you what is going on with my HDD if i know.

Thank very much for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back