Boot.ini on multiple harddisks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

(first of all, **** I was busy typing and then the board logged my out and then the fancy editor had forgotten all about what I had typed... just a bit too much fanciness I am afraid)

I am new to this forum, but I have a rather advanced (I think :p) question to start my experiences here with. I am currently in the process of reinstalling all my OSes (and installing a few more). At the same time I am trying to learn and this issue that came up - the boot.ini file - grabbed my attention. My current hard disk setup is as follows:

A 120 gig IDE hard disk: 1 < 2 3 4 5 >
A 80 gig SATA-II disk: 1 2 3 < 4 5 6 >

(where each number is a partition and the angular brackets are my extended partitions)

Disk 1 part 1 contains my working windows bootloader (ntldr with boot.ini) - I am not touching it for now... and a broken DellUtility (the hard disk was once part of a fully shipped Dell)
Disk 1 part 2 contains my windows install
Disk 1 part 3 contains my music collection
Disk 1 part 4 is a copy of the first partition
Disk 1 part 5 is empty space

Disk 2 part 1 contains a copy of the windows bootloader from the first disk - I am willing to experiment with this one - if anything goes wrong I just put back the first disk as he first in the boot sequence and everything is fixed.
Disk 2 part 2 is my linux swap partition
Disk 2 part 3 is my linux partition abd contains grub - which is called by the MBR of D1p1 and again calls the windows bootloader on that partition if you choose to boot into windows
Disk 2 part 4 contains a collection of magic card images (for magic workstation)
Disk 2 part 5 is a copy of my windows install
Disk 2 part 6 is empty space

The contents of my boot.ini that is working (on the first hard disk) is as follows:
boot.ini said:
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\ = "Unidentified operating system on drive H."

(the last line is the broken DellUtility)

I tried using the same code for the windows bootloader on the second hard disk, but it didn't work. I have tried different things to get that bootloader to work, but it just doesn't want to. I could try dome more things, but that would be pure guessing - of which I learn nothing.
So, what I ask you is:
1. Do any of you know why the bootloader on the second hard disk does not boot the windows install on the first hard disk?
2. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to get it to work?

Ah - finally managed to get the contents of the first post right...

(yes, technically this is a bump, but I think this is okey as it compensates the "bump" I would have gotten if the post would have been posted only once I was all done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back