Boot Problem - Motherboard or Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am having a problem with my PC failing to boot and showing a blank screen.

Initially, discovered that the power supply had failed. Replaced the power supply, and the machine now POSTS and starts to boot, but fails to complete booting into windows. It halts just after starting to display the graphical progress bar. The graphical display of the bar and Microsoft logo appears very dim.

Subsequently, when booting the text menu about 'windows failed to start properly' appears and allows you to select 'Safe Mode', but still fails to boot once that has been selected.

The machine also fails to boot from the Vista DVD with similar symptoms, which leads me to suspect it is a hardware fault (if the O/S on the hard disk was corrupt, the DVD would still boot).

On one of my boot attempts, when the process got to the stage of the dim progress bar, it emitted a loud, long beep.

I suspect the fault may be with the graphics card and it is crashing when it is put into higher resolution modes? Operations in text mode seem to work fine, such as the BIOS configuration program and the menu described above.

Can anyone help?

Machine is an HP Media Centre 7590
Pentium D processor
nVidia GEFORCE 7600 GS graphics card

Go to HP for their Beep codes, or do a search of this forum. A guru named Tipstir has posted a very complete list of Beep Codes by BIOS, Motherboard manufacturer, etc... That long beep should not be ignored.

You also might want to double check that your CPU heatsink not loose. I have seen the exact same thing atleast a dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back