TechSpot

Boot Problems, after BSOD

By ChiCubs05
Oct 10, 2006
  1. i have a very high end system, just owned for about 6 months i will detail the specs here

AMD 3800+ X2
    Asrock Motherboard
    2GB G Skill RAM
    250GB WD HDD
    GeFore 7600GT Graphics
    Aspire 420W Power Supply
    3 Fans

i was listening to some music on Itunes, browsing the Google Earth website, and my music stopped, and Itunes closed down. i then tried to open it back up,m and by computer displayed a BSOD displaying

"\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\faultrep.dll is not a valid win image, please check against insallation diskette"

now when i try and start up windows something constantly clicks and tells me to insert boot media into the proper drive, i have my HDD as my primary boot source, then my CD drive.

please help me, i checked and everything is secure and tight, i just dont know what the problem is. i run Registry Mechanic reguarly, Ad Aware Pro, i use Diskkeeper reguarly so i think my system is in good shape, i just dont know what is going on!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

It sounds to me like your hard drive may have failed, hence the clicking.

Download and run your hard drive manufacturers utility and test the drive.

Alternatively, take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

3. ChiCubs05

ChiCubs05 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

so the hard drive is dead...i purchased it less then 6 months ago, did nothing but everyday multimedia, word processing, and a little gaming. what can i do to get a replacement, the western digital site is almost imposible to find what you want, and they plan on charging me for calling them

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Have you checked the hard drive using a diagnostic utility?

The WD website is HERE. You should be able to find what you want under the support options.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.