Boot problems with ide and sata hard disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

would appreciate some help in solving following boot problem
I have a computer with one old IDE HDD and two new SATA disks,
on one of the SATA disks I installed windows XP and the second SATA disk is used for storage purposes only.

I cleaned the old IDE HDD as I no longer need it, and I thought it was completely empty, but it seems not the case.
At the very beginning I must have made a mistake with the boot sequence as in order to get to the SATA HDD with the os on it I have to go through the IDE HDD
I hoped to have found the solution in getting rid of the IDE HDD, but when I did that I was no longer able to get to the SATA HDD, only when I connected the IDE HDD again could I load windows XP.
Then I decided to format the IDE HDD and reinstall Windows XP again, but in order to do so, Windows XP required a small part of the IDE HDD, so I was back to square one.

I guess my problems has to do with the Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.36 in BIOS, but I do not have enough knowledge to mess with the bios without guidance of more experienced computer users

hope one of you guys can help me out, before I turn to (expensive) PC doctors

thanks
Nick

computer system:
MOBO: MSI Platinium 975
CPU: Intel Core2 6400
2 SATA HDD 80 and 160
1 IDE HDD 40

Or, remove the ide, install windows, then refit the ide.

Provided you remember to change the boot sequency after refitting the ide everything should work out fine.

did that, but did not solve my problem, the boot menu did not show any HDD
only after I put back the IDE HDD the boot menu showed all three disks and after clicking on the IDE HDD, the computer iimmediately started windows xp from the SATA hard disk
Till I find a solution I will stick to this procedure

You sometimes have to set it to "boot from other device" in order for it to work.

use one type or the other. Some systems do not like both drives at the same time.

This has been discussed ad naseum here on techspot.

Yes, this seems to be true. Although I am running 3 IDE and 2 SATA drives at this time with no problems on my inexpensive Gigabyte motherboard. I have never had any trouble running both IDE and SATA ever. I guess I'm good at understanding bios and bios configurations. This understanding did take practice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back