Boot up problems with a custom built PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, be prepared for a long post :(

Today I built my first PC from scratch. Don't get me wrong I researched quite a bit and Ive done seperate components before. But this time was the first time that I tried to do it completley by myself. Bad mistake it would seem.

The components that I bought were:

GigaByte GA-81955X Royal - i995 Chipset, supports 64 bit, compatible with P4 processor, 1066 max FSB

Pentium 4 650 3.4ghz, EM64T 800FSB

2 * 1GB sticks of DDR2 5300 RAM

Asus Radeon X800XL PCI-E gfx card

Thermal Take TR2 470W power supply

I already had a 200gb HDD and a DVD-ROM drive, so I used those. I didnt install a Floppy drive as I have never used one, and didnt think it necessary.

Heres the problem. The pc will not get past the windows loading bar, the blue one right after the bios has finished doing it's stuff. The load bar will have one blue bar go across then a really quick blue death screen will flash up, then the computer restarts itself. This happens over and over in a loop.

Now I dont know where to even start. I've tried going into BIOS settings to have a look around but everything seems normal to me. The only thing that I would say looks odd is a section on the startup sequence it says "Running IDE Scan..." This then returns:

IDE 0 - Not found
IDE 1 - Not Found
IDE 2 - Not Found
IDE 3 - Not found

I thought maybe this was something to do with the primary and master. But I swear I have these the right way round. In the bios settings, It auto detecs both the HDD and the DVD-ROM drive. So I dont know whats going on there.

Is this a compatiblity issue, something maybe with Windows xp Pro SP2? Or is there something wrong in the hardware?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

are you trying to boot up with the XP cd in the drive and reformat and reinstall windows or are you trying to boot up with your old hard drive with it's existing OS which was installed on a completely different chipset than you have now?

I am trying to boot up from an OS installed on a Hard drive, that I used with my old system. Is that the problem, the OS needs to be reinstalled to be compatible with the new motherboard?

I tried booting up without the DVD-ROM drive but it wasnt having any of it. Gave a disk error.

Is there any other possible issues before I take this step? A new comment by the way, I dont know if youve heard of it, but Ive also got a Universal Plus Dual Power System card installed, which has four blue LED's. One of them lights up constant whilst one just blinks. The other 2 LED's have never come on.

Looking at that LED card you described, could it be that your power supply is not strong enough for your system?

Try booting without that aswell. Sounds as if it requires a lot of power to run.

hard drive

When you are booting from the old OS the incorrect motherboard drivers are being loaded, which result in what you have. Try booting from the OS disc in the cd and do repair the files. Then when finish XP will use plug/play and load microsoft drivers. Then you still need to load the drivers from the cd that came with the new motherboard. Or go online to get any updateds from the manufacture of the motherboard. If this doesn't work time to reformat and start from scratch. :giddy:

The oldman has got it right ( iss of course too). You cannot boot from your old HDD, you must boot from the WinXP install CD and either do a repair or format and clean install (do the format, always the best)(unless you really need to keep the data on your old drive).

Cheers.

Thanks guys!

Yep, you were right. I did a repair on windows and it now works perfectly! Finally, I can run BF2 on the highest spec again :)

I know where to come in future, you guys have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back