Western Digital 27 gig Hard Drive
WD 60 gig
GeForce 4 4400 Ti on order until then Im using a Voodoo 3 3500TV
Plextor Cd burner
Thermalright SK6 heatsink + fan
copper shim
Arctic Silver thermal Grease
------------------------------------
put together and booted it up. I had most of the components attached (no floppy basically) it got to the boot screen and ran its diagnostics and I pressed delete to enter the BIOS. When the BIOS menu came on I did a little dance to celebrate my new comp (no nothing fell or broke) when I went to peruse the BIOS my keyboard wouldnt work, so I reset

Now when it got to the bootup screen, it would just say "Athlon 1800XP+" and then at the bottom it would say press del to enter setup. And that was it. I couldnt enter the setup because my keyboard wouldnt work. So I consulted with a buddy and we reset the CMOS.

Now the only thing that did is when I boot it up instead of saying Athlon 1800XP+ it says Athlon 1050mhz and then at the bottom press del to enter setup. But my keyboard doesnt work. When booting up I get two quick beeps, one for the Voodoo initializing and the second for whatever else initializes. Ive got Windows 98 on the HD but I dont think it matters since I cant even get into my BIOS.

I sent an email to SOYO who sent me one back that said basically since we are getting so many emails dont expect us to answer yours. My buddy eventually gave up and went home, wishing me good luck. SO Im currently at another friends house and he is tearing down the system and giving it the once over. No results so far.

One thing I noticed on the CPU itself when we dismounted it for the second and THIRD times is there is a little saturation ( or what appears to be) around the base of the core. Maybe I did a bad grease job? Weve tried everything from a different power supply to holding insert while booting etc. Any advice is much appreciated!! Thanks

BTW:I tired three different keyboards two PS2 keyboards and a USB. I didnt expect the USB to work but hey. You get to the point where you try anything. My second buddy is getting ready to give up on this whole fiasco.

I bought all this items from www.NewEgg.com is anyone familiar with their return/exchange policies and procedures? Thanks again

(*expletives deleted by mod)

Q I couldnt enter the (bios) setup because my keyboard wouldnt work. So I consulted with a buddy and we reset the CMOS.
A w/o prior knowledge of you correct setting, set BIOS to DEFAULT

Troubleshooting a Dead/Unbootable PC

QWhen booting up I get two quick beeps
AAward BIOS beep code:
a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.
This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps.
Any other beeps are probably a RAM problems.

Q I bought all this items from NewEgg.com is anyone familiar with their return/exchange policies and procedures?
A www.newegg.com read RMA & return policy

How can I reset the BIOS if my keyboard doesnt work? We've reset the CMOs, or tried, about 5 or 6 times. Maybe more. :(
The beeps arent the problem, the video card boots ok, and weve booted with and without RAM and gotten the good beep and the bad beep. I guess I should rephrase my question about newegg. Has anyone had experience making a return through them? How much of a hassle is making an RMA? I think the general consensus from my friends who have examined the setup is that the cpu is bad or cooked because the motherboard will boot all the components, but since the cpu isnt working properly it wont detect anything like the keyboard, and wont perform its boot up diagnostics.

btw does anyone know if Soyo has a toll free tech support line?
(yes I have looked at their website but one isnt listed, maybe they have a secret one hidden somewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back