Boot up tips

By SuperCheetah
Apr 3, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Found this old article over at www.pcstats.com but I believe it still applies now. I'm going to try it on my computer and tell my results. Thought some of you guys might need this, I know I do. I hate waiting for my computer to boot.

2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

are these for XP as well?
  3. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

Wow... I haven't seen those for a LONG time! The msdos.sys file is 0 bytes in my WinXP PC. I remember that is has to be at least 1024 bytes in older Windows releases. I suppose this tweak is for WinME and below.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

None of these applies to NT. I used these years ago with Win9x.
  5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 868

My bad, just saw the article and figured some of them might could be applied to XP as well. Guess not, oh well.

Here is some little ones that I found for 2000 and XP.
    Also, there are other tweaks for the msconfig and whatnot in the article. Maybe these can help a newbie or someone like myself who just hasn't taken the time to do this. :)
  6. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Got both the Win9x & 2k/XP stuff covered in our Startup guide also.
  7. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 868

Ahhhhhhhhh...I give up!!! :)
  8. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

Sorry Super, I feel for you man.....When you wanna do a LAN party ?? That would be too cool. We could have a huge 3DS LAN party and fly everyone in for a weekend of FPS'ing...Anyone else up for it ??
  9. Ai Hate

Ai Hate Newcomer, in training Posts: 321

fly me across the globe!!!!
  10. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

Can you wait til after July ? Thats when I get my new passes for family and friends...
  11. erwin1978

erwin1978 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 327

WinXP loads at around 45 seconds for me and I'm impressed. I wonder if I can make it to 1 second.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.