Bootable Windows XP CD with updates?

By DjKraid
Oct 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

I was wondering if there is any way to make o copy of a Windows XP Pro cd and "integrate" all the latest updates so that I wouldn't need to download them separately for all computers? -I have 8 computers now where I need to install XP but all the time goes to updating :/

thx in advance!
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

you could simply slip in SP3 with an OEM disk by using nLite... this will save you time with multiple computers, otherwise i would say not to bother. on my XP machines, i haven't installed any updates past SP3, so i haven't experimented with integrating them into installation CDs.
  3. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Are you actually giving advice to not install Microsoft's updates? The critical updates should not be considered optional and should be installed as soon as they are released.

Slip-streaming SP3 into an older version of an XP cd is a good idea to at least start the machines with SP3 but you'll still need to download dozens of patches after that. You can experiment with trying to integrate those into the CD as well, I've have mixed success with doing that. Some patches worked fine like that but some failed.
  4. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 599   +14

Thx! -the sp3 installs slowly so that should take some time off the total setup time (I hope) :)

what does actually a "critical" update do? -the only difference I can see is that the computer is much slower... :/

I have a bunch of old computers here with WinXP license tag so I reinstall WinXP on all and then the go for sale

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.