Booting from CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just setup my own PC. The BIOS seems to have my hardware recognized correctly. I have my Hard Disk as IDE0 Primary and CDROM as IDE1 Master. Now I want to install WinXP OS on it. When I insert the CD in the CDROM and give it as the first boot device, the PC doesn recognize the CD as bootable and says " Error : Cannot boot from CD : Code : 4".

What do I do now? I tried the CD in my laptop and since it had the auto run feature it straight away gave me the screen from where I can install WinXP. So, that means my CD is correct. I cant understand why my PC isnt able to recognize it.

Please help me with it. I am in desparate need to have the PC going.
Thanks

When you insert it on the running laptop, Windows will launch the "autolaunch" feature. That has nothing to do with a CD being bootable. If your PC cannot boot from it, then most likely it isn't bootable.

Try downloading a Windows 98 bootdisk (with ATAPI cdrom support) & once you've booted off that, go to the cdrom & manualy launch the install process.

Thanks,

One more thing. Can I download boot up disk for Windows 98, boot from the floppy drive and then logon to the CDROM drive at the DOS prompt. How do I run the CDROM then, as in which file do I run, the autorun file??

Please let me know and thanks for your suggestion. You are pretty right that the CDROM running automatically has nothing to do with it being bootable.

Go to the cdrom, then the i386 subfolder & I think you have to launch winnt or ntsetup or setup. I don't remember which. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back