TechSpot

Booting from SATA with Controller Card

By theallmightycpd
Oct 9, 2007
  1. Hello,

So here is the situation. I have recently added a second drive to my system. Previously, I had a single PATA drive set up and running windows just fine. I have now added a SATA drive that is connected via a Silicon Image 3114 controller card. I have no problems using it as a secondary drive. It is visible from within windows and I have full access to it.

Here lies the problem. I want to use the SATA drive as my primary drive and install windows on it. So, I disconnected the PATA drive (so as not to accidentally overwrite anything on that drive), I booted from the windows XP install CD, pressed F6 to install the drivers, but when I get to the next step to select where to install windows, it says that no drives exist.

My guess is that my BIOS is not detecting that I have a SATA drive installed using a controller card. I'm not sure.

So, does anybody have any remedies for this issue?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Windows has got nothing to dowith BIOS - it uses its own drivers for everything. It is Windows that cannot detect your drive. Maybe you loaded the wrong drivers?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.