TechSpot

Booting from SATA with Controller Card

By theallmightycpd
Oct 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

So here is the situation. I have recently added a second drive to my system. Previously, I had a single PATA drive set up and running windows just fine. I have now added a SATA drive that is connected via a Silicon Image 3114 controller card. I have no problems using it as a secondary drive. It is visible from within windows and I have full access to it.

Here lies the problem. I want to use the SATA drive as my primary drive and install windows on it. So, I disconnected the PATA drive (so as not to accidentally overwrite anything on that drive), I booted from the windows XP install CD, pressed F6 to install the drivers, but when I get to the next step to select where to install windows, it says that no drives exist.

My guess is that my BIOS is not detecting that I have a SATA drive installed using a controller card. I'm not sure.

So, does anybody have any remedies for this issue?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Windows has got nothing to dowith BIOS - it uses its own drivers for everything. It is Windows that cannot detect your drive. Maybe you loaded the wrong drivers?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.