booting too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckck

I have dell dimension v350 Pentium II 512kB cache, 384MB Ram, 4 GB HD, floppy diskatte drive and CD Rom drive, windows 2000 professional workstation newly installed.

It seem takes forever Whenever I boot the system at the stage of POST right after displaying the RAM, Cache and drives detected. No beeps, no error/warning messages. Can anyone tell me why and how to speed it up? Thanks!

Find out what Windows are REALLY for: open them and throw that piece of antique junk out of them!

You have an old, very small, and also very slow harddisk. Can it do 5400RPM already or is it even older? That is bottleneck #1.
Get a 30GB 7200RPM disk, you'll be amazed! (anything bigger will not be recognised by BIOS).

And please do NOT post in colour, it's very hard to read! Thank you.

In addition, im not sure but its also possible that windows 2000 doesnt like ram larger than 64meg, could also be that the mobo is the same. Like i said, im not sure but i have had experience with the older systems and versions of windows where bench marking has proven that they run faster with only 64 meg of ram.

rik
I have no idea where you get your 'wisdom' from, but you are completely off your trolley where W2K is concerned.
That is the best ever OS that M$ ever made, and it runs on anything from 32MB up to 2GB memory (probably 4GB as well).
My home-PC runs W2K/SP4 on an AMD64-3000(S939) with 1.5GB.
I run W2K on a Pentium120/64mb, PII-300/128MB,PII-400/192MB, PII-550/256B, AMDXP1900/512MB as well.

I get a lot of information from a friend that works for a large computer company that i cant name, i am going by information that is not leaked to the public. I have read "incompatability manuals" the like of which i never thought would exist,

how about this one:

my another computer encountered similar problem just right on today. The system is Dell Dimension RPX 400, Pentuim II 400 mHz, 256MB RAM, 120GB HD.

It detectes 4-5 MB memory in every 4-5 seconds, and then very slowly open windows 2000 professional worksatation with no mouse pointer showing up, and came with McAfee message stated "Spooler Subsystem Application has been changed".

Looks like nothing too much related to the size of HD. Does it have better explaination or solution? Thanks!

Check both PCs in the BIOS, and see if you can load 'optimum' or 'standard' or whatever settings.
Also allow/enable quick POST in BIOS.
Them being from Dell, there probably is not much you can do about it anyway.

1) I enabled the quick boot, the memory checking jumpped from 0 to 256 MB in about 3 munites, still long but improved a little bit. Not the best case yet! but thanks!

2) My os was new installed, do you think defrag also effect POST?

Rik there's information and dis-information I have W2K running on 4 machines with between 192MB (too little really) and IGB. All running sweetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back