Booting Windows from a cloned SATA drive on a PCI Host Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here and I've read threads about this already, but none are seeming to help me with this.

I have a Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller with a 160 GB Seagate HD hooked up to it. My motherboard does not have SATA ports.

I've cloned my hard drive after a fresh reformat, gotten all my drivers, everything updated and running, and now what I want to do is boot Windows and work from that Seagate HD and have my other HD as my backup/storage.

A computer geeky friend of mine said he'd never dealt with anything like this and says it probably is not possible, but I've been reading threads all over from searching on Google and people are saying it is possible if your card has a BIOS of it's own, and I think it does, and I'm also seeing people say that you have to put the SCSI drivers in while you're installing Windows, but I don't have Windows CDs (this is a pre-built Compaq, yeah, sucks. =\)

So, yes, Windows is on the HD I want to boot from, I just need to be able to get my computer to want to boot from that device.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back