Booting XP from an IDE drive on a SATA motherboard (headache!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

OK, while I consider myself to be quite an expert at most things PC related, the hardware side of stuff usually goes right over my head and I can't figure this one out at all.

I recently bought a new computer with a SATA motherboard. I managed to connect my old IDE hard drive to it using some sort of connector/adapter thing that I bought. This IDE drive has an installation of XP home SP2 on it. Now this works fine as a slave drive, and I can access all the files on it from my main SATA drive's Vista installation. But when I try to boot XP from it I get the list of options of how to boot xp (safe mode, last known good config, etc.), and then the blue screen with error 0x000..07e. It then just restarts itself.

Now I don't want to lose my files on there so I'd rather not just reinstall windows xp (especially as its an oem version or whatever), but I would still like to be able to boot it.

I tried using my dodgy xp installation cd to get on the recovery console and using fixboot, but nothing. Should I be installing sata drivers on there or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

ps. im pretty sure my motherboard is an Nvidia nForce 405 but i could be completely wrong

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The problem is, your old hard drive/Windows installation will have all the drivers/hardware configuration for your old mobo and won`t work with the new mobo.

If you`re really lucky, a Windows repair as per this thread HERE might work, with the emphasis on might. The only other option is top backup your important data and reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

what about system prep
not the best way and may still need a install disc for repair
I am now trying out acronis workstation with universal install
almost there
PS using a boot flash card haha

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The problem is, your old hard drive/Windows installation will have all the drivers/hardware configuration for your old mobo and won`t work with the new mobo.

If you`re really lucky, a Windows repair as per this thread HERE might work, with the emphasis on might. The only other option is top backup your important data and reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
What he said :)
Overall, your best bet though would just be to reinstall Windows, which is the best thing to do when you get a new system (provided it doesn't already have an os preinstalled)

Thanks for all the advice, in the end I just formatted the drive and reinstalled xp. Although, that started a whole new problem but thats a story for another thread ;)

Thanks guys!

You cannot use Windows XP from another motherboard or computer to boot on a different computer. Windows XP is configured and licensed for only 1 computer/system at a time.

Tedster said:
You cannot use Windows XP from another motherboard or computer to boot on a different computer. Windows XP is configured and licensed for only 1 computer/system at a time.
actually, windows xp has provisions to transfer your license to another machine. As long as you don't go beyond the activation limit (a certain number of activations per 90 days or something like that, not sure what it really is) you can install it on your new system. Worst case may be that it tells you to call microsoft and do it over the phone.

More info here: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back