Inactive Bootkit will be activated once restart - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday my work laptop was acting strange, and it turned out I had the problems that most people in here had: google search redirected to ad websites, mute volume, random pop-ups even without using IE, etc. I went through the whole process to fix it, up until the next to last step (using malwarebytes, spybot, tdsskiller, bootkit remover). I didnt run combofix because i didnt want to risk it. today i went home and discovered my personal laptop (different from the one at work) also got infected with the same problem (minus the google search problem), and realized it must be one of the websites I frequent (and thought to be safe - but I guess not!). So right now my personal computer is fixed, I hope (didnt post logs here; just went through the whole thing myself; seems fine now), but I also realized my laptop at work might be infected - AGAIN! I usually dont turn it off and put it on standby, maybe thats why nothing happened today; but if in the future I need to restart it, I'm really afraid the bootkit will be activated. Is is possible to remove the bootkit before I restart the computer? Please give me some advice and general directions. Not sure if I can post logs up because it's a work computer, I usually cant bring it home (running all the fixers takes time), but if needs be I will definitely follow the 8 steps and post the logs here.
Let me know. I really appreciate your help!

if needs be I will definitely follow the 8 steps and post the logs here.
Please do.
Often, where there is one type of an infection, there are others. We better check.

thanks for the quick reply. should I restart the computer before doing the 8 steps? right now nothing is happening yet so i doubt if any malware detecting program will find anything; but im also afraid of restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back