Boston Dynamics redesigns DARPA's humanoid robot with a built-in battery pack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

darpa incredible humanoid robot walk feet google robot atlas found boston dynamics humanoid

The last time we saw DARPA’s Atlas robot, it was annoyingly loud and tethered to a thick cable necessary to supply power. Since then, Boston Dynamics went back to the drawing board and now just two months later, they’re showcasing its successor.

The revised Atlas robot does away with both of the aforementioned drawbacks. In fact, everything from the knees up has been completely redesigned to create a much more menacing looking humanoid. The machine now carries its own power source on its back which is good for about an hour of runtime.

Other improvements include additional strength, better dexterity and a new pressure pump. 

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Not sure how this thing looks more menacing, but I'm certainly impressed to see its development. A few more years and these bots should be well on their way to escaping the laboratory (take that as you will).

Hmmmmm ..... I'm holding out for the one that works as good as Commander Data, but of course comes in the female version ..... LOL

Hmmmmm ..... I'm holding out for the one that works as good as Commander Data, but of course comes in the female version ..... LOL

Give them another 10-15 years. The basic tech is already developed, it just has to be properly "married."

I wonder how long feminism would last in such an environment.

Give them another 10-15 years. The basic tech is already developed, it just has to be properly "married."

I wonder how long feminism would last in such an environment.

By then it probably won't matter since they will have both male and female version with exchangeable parts ..... sort of like the Mr & Mrs Potato head, but of course, different.

Back