bought a pc over ebay, did i get ****'** over?

By geno2k3
Jul 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116225
    (^ processor)

celeron D 3.2ghz 533mhz fsb 256kb l2
    2gb ddr400 memory
    160 gb ata HD
    agp-x8 mobo (video card sold seperatly, probaly gonna get ati 9600xt 256mb)
    optical mouse + keyboard
    sound blaster ac 97
    450w psu
    no monitor

Grand total (with tax and shipping) = $465.00

1st: did i make a bad choice and get ripped off?
    2nd: will this pc be able to handle games like world of warcraft, call of duty 2, wc3:tft, ect. (with the assumption i get a 9600xt 256mb 500mhz core clock)
    3rd: would it be better if i replaced the celeron d with a more better processor? say p4 dual core?

thanks if you can answer these three questions for me that would be great, be brutaly honest too.

BTW: i do realize i could have built a way better computer for the same price but i was too lazy to do that becouse last time i fried my mobo.
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Nope it's not bad at all. Regarding gaming however, the Celeron is zilch for it. A Pentium D wouldn't be too expensive. Try this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001
    Before this however use a free program like Everest Home Edition or SIW(google for them) to find out ur motherboard make, brand, model and chipset.
  3. blue_dragon

blue_dragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 278

geez

that celeron is overclocked..celeron dont run that high
    ill let you in a story..my friend went to compusa and sad some celerons in the 3 gigahertz and ask the saleperson..the saleperson said they got overclocked manually ..haha
  4. geno2k3

geno2k3 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 111

i think you are talking about the old celerons, the one that will be shipped to me is a celeron d with stock 3.2ghz ;/ but crappy l2 256kb cashe
  5. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 546

yes celeron Ds do get that high of clock speed from the factory.

an Intel Celeron D 352 series gets 3.2GHz if im not mistaken. Heck my Celeron D 340 that i have in my eMachines PC runs at 2.93GHz natively
  6. geno2k3

ooo can you please tell me how it runs, temp, and especialy how it performs on games.
  7. geno2k3

bump, anyone give me more info on my systen!
  8. awsskater892

awsskater892 Newcomer, in training Posts: 212

9. awsskater892

awsskater892 Newcomer, in training Posts: 212

haha nvm i didnt look very closely
  10. AMDIsTheBest010

Runs: It runs pretty good, sounds like a wind tunnel when it first powers up, for about 5 sec. then it goes pretty silent. I run Windows XP w/512MB RAM and it runs good.

Temp: it runs fairly cool, when you launch a CPU intensive app like an antiirus scanner, it gets a little warm, but i've never had any trouble with it overheating.

games: you do need to realize that Celerons are not meant for games. light games like MS flight Sim 2004, and The sims 2 it runs ok, but then again i have an Nvidia card with 128MB DDR2 RAM on it so i dont know aout your GPU. but its not meant for intense games. For that stuff go with a Pentium D or an Athlon X2. I mainly use it for web browsing and office apps like MS word, excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. I use my laptop whitch has an Intel Core Duo w/1GB RAM for my more intense games.

All in all, if you are just looking for a CPU to browse the web, use MS Office, then the Celeron is a good choice. But if your using it for games, i would reccomedn stepping up to the more powerful Intel Pentium D 900 series CPU
  11. Rage_3K_Moiz

geno2k3, ur system is quite good, except for the processor. An upgrade to the Pentium D I posted will not cost u too much and give u a much, much better performing machine. The 9600XT is a good card and will be able to play almost all new games out there quite comfortably. So don't worry about that.

12. geno2k3

i probaly wont be upgrading the processor but i will be getting a x1600 pro 256 mb agp 8x 500 mhz core clock 800 mhz mem clock.. pritty good vid card imo.
  13. AMDIsTheBest010

As i mentioned earlier, This Celeron D series is NOT meant for gaming, now if you want powerful gaming power, step up to the Pentium D 900 series like Rage 3K Moiz and I mentioned earlier
  14. geno2k3

well its looking like i have no choice now... so games like cod2, cs:s, wow are gonna be realy slow? sluggish? or unplayable?
  15. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,058

The cheapiest P-d is your best beat.
  16. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Celeron D's are not complete junk for games. I had a 9600XT with a Celeron D 335, and it managed to play games very acceptable, like San Andreas, PoP: two thrones, even played PRETTY good Far Cry...
  17. geno2k3

the cheapest p-d 805 (im on a budget) is not much better in performance compared to the 3.2 ghz celeron i have... probaly a 10% increase... not worth 100 bucks.
  18. geno2k3

can anyone compare this cpu (celeron d 531 3.2 ghz) to amd athlon xp 2800+ 3000+ p4 2.6 ghz ect... i cant seem to find many things on this video card.

19. Rage_3K_Moiz

No, it is worth that money. The performance increase will be much greater, about 50-60% more plus the Celeron is not dual-core. For 100 bucks u r getting a good dual core processor that will help u multitask and give u superb performance as compared to the Celeron D.
    Ur video card is quite good and a 512MB version will not cost too much more and give it a significant power boost.
  20. geno2k3

ive seen a few benchmarks where the pentium d 805 did not perform well. it was only a 10% increase in efficientcy, if you could, show me some benchmarks that prove its waaay better then a celeron d becouse im on a tight budget.
  21. AMDIsTheBest010

geno2K3, but it seems that what you are not understanding is that a Celeron has only 1 single core, but the Pentium D, even if it does have a lower clock speed than the Celeron D, has 2 but the Pentium D has double the proccessing power of a regular CPU. so if it has a clock speed of 2.8GHz, technically it runs at 5.6GHz combining the power between the two of them. An excellent way to dexcribe the difference b/t a single CPU and a double CPU is running a virus scan, and a game at the same time.

in a regular CPU, lets take you Celeron D as an example, the two programs have fight for CPU power, so thats where that "hanging" effect and that dreaded hourglass come from.

In a Dual Core CPU each program has its own separate area to proccess its functions, so therefor, usually there is not as much of a degrade in performance. Yes, granted an AV scanner takes up alot of CPU power, b/c it has to scan everything in the computer, but if you compare that to a single core CPU, there is really no comparison.

i have a Celeron D 340 series that run at 2.93GHz in my emachines PC, and it runs good, but when i run the AV scanner, my PC is virtually useless, while that proccess is running, b/c it takes up almost 100% of the resources. and that Celeron D is NOT meant for gaming, as i stated earlier. If you even read the description on intels Website www.intel.com it even says that its a reliable CPU for basic, home, and home office, apps. not games.

i stongly reccommed stepping up to he Pentium D 900 series CPU for gaming power.

...AMD
  22. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

all three of those processors are simlilar in performance, and my guess is that they would all be better than a celeron.

the Athlon-XP's are an older processor line that was comparable to a 2.8GHz/3.0Ghz socket-478 P4. the newer socket-939/AM2 Athlon-64's or Athlon-X2's are comparable to socket-775 P4's or P-D's. which would obviously be better than a celeron.

but no AMD processor is an option for you unless you plan on buying a new mobo

cheers :wave:
  23. geno2k3

yes im taking your advise guys and im gonna save up for a pentium d 930 3.0 ghz 4mb L2 and a x1600 vid card. thanks alot
  24. AMDIsTheBest010

Thats a very nice, choice. should last you for some years to come, and shoyld Handle Windows Vista nicely.

:)
    ...AMD
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.