TechSpot

Bought by Facebook for $1 billion, Instagram now worth a whopping $35 billion

By Jos
Dec 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook's $1 billion acquisition of Instagram in 2012 may have seemed shocking at the time -- and indeed, it sparked talk of a new tech bubble. But as it turns out the deal is now looking like quite a bargain...

Read more

2. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

I see another dotcom bubble coming and I hope it starts with facebook

Littleczr likes this.
  3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +528

will it be like a zit or a pinata?

4. yRaz

It will be like one of those times where you think you have to fart in public so you let it rip and accidentally **** yourself.

drjekelmrhyde likes this.
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

So...why would I trust the numbers of one of the primary culprits of the financial crisis?

Yeah, what happened the last time Citi speculated?

drjekelmrhyde likes this.
  6. mizkitty

mizkitty TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +7

Obviously Citigroup has a vested interest in making Instagram's valuation as high as possible...

7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 305   +62

Well, assuming if everyone on EARTH was using this app.

And somehow ads per person a day amounts to $0.01.

Then this is a totally legit valuation!

8. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

could you just simply not use it? I don't use many things everyday that I don't like. With practice, I think everyone can learn to do it.

9. yRaz

My problem with facebook isn't the social networking aspect of it, it's that they're frequently buying seemingly worthless companies for billions of dollars. On top of that they are valued at over $200 billion dollars. For awhile people thought that facebook was going to be the first trillion dollar company.

10. All is well inside the capitalist crackhouse...nevermind the mounds of trash & excrement in every corner.

11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,260   +223

are you implying that Instagram is worthless?

12. yRaz

that isn't what I said at all but, yes, I do think instagram is worthless. Especially when my friends are too busy uploading pictures from their phone to actually enjoy what they were taking pictures of.

13. Misagt

Misagt TS Booster Posts: 100   +43

It's all shadow money, most of it isn't there. If you look at the companies Facebook has bought. It's usually a bit of cash and a ton of stock. That stock most likely has restrictions on when it can be sold. Basically, Facebook buys company gets most of the value from locking these people into owning their stock for a long period of time. This keeps the stock up and by buying all these companies it gives the illusion of growth, it's all smoke and mirrors.