Bought Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare on Windows Store? You can't play with Steam friends

Scorpus

Staff member

This is a public service announcement for those looking to purchase Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare on PC: don't purchase the Windows Store version, as you won't be able to play with those who bought the game on Steam.

Activision confirmed through its support website that Infinite Warfare is not cross-compatible with the two versions available for PC gamers. The same goes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, which is also available through both the Windows Store and Steam.

Previous Call of Duty games have been available through Steam first and foremost, so it's a given that the vast majority of gamers will be playing the Steam version of Infinite Warfare. If you purchase the Windows Store version, you will be stuck in multiplayer modes with only a small subsection of players on PC.

Even worse, if you purchase Infinite Warfare on the wrong platform, you won't be able to play with your friends who chose the other platform. Make sure you coordinate between your mates as to which PC version you'll be playing, and if in doubt, choose the more popular game platform (Steam).

The lack of cross-compatibility between the Steam and Windows Store versions is strange given that both are PC platforms. It makes you wonder why Activision even bothered releasing a Windows Store version. In any case, Infinite Warfare will be released on all platforms, including current-gen consoles, on November 4th.

Permalink to story.

Hey Techspot make a news about Forza Horizon 3 DOWNGRADE patch which still didn't fix the performance problems but now we have major pop ins and notably worse graphical fidelity. A quick search for the word DOWNGRADE on their forum will do wonders.

Also some tech junkies have revealed that its not a real DX12 game and that something is seriously wrong with how it uses RAM since its an xbox game.

Oh and yeah this windows store nonsense concerning Microsoft Store... well the MS Store people have just destroyed what little reputation they had with this. Certainly not the brightest people its almost as if they sabotage themself just like Windows 10 Phone.

If you were to buy the Windows Store version could you play with Xbox players though. That might make the choice slightly harder...

If you were to buy the Windows Store version could you play with Xbox players though. That might make the choice slightly harder...

Are you sure about that? Console PC crossplay has never worked, especially on FPS because a controller sucks at aiming. I don't really see how Microsoft could do that.

Are you sure about that? Console PC crossplay has never worked, especially on FPS because a controller sucks at aiming. I don't really see how Microsoft could do that.
I'm not at sure at all, it was a question. (Sorry I missed out a ?)

I thought the Windows Store was supposed to be cross platform that's all.

And they say this just in the launch day...isn't it sweet ?
I remember when I bought GTA V from store ( it was cheaper than on Steam ) , went home and tried to activate it on Steam....it didn't worked.

Luckily you can get a refund if you contact Microsoft support.

This is an absolute joke and the devs give no reason for the limitation.

COD deserves to just die already. The last decent release was MW3. Why do people still buy it?

From Eurogamer:

The Windows 10 Store version of COD: Infinite Warfare also does not support Xbox One cross-play, nor is it an Xbox Play Anywhere game, so you won't automatically own it on two platforms - PC and Xbox One - when buying on one.

Back