Boxee TV offers over-the-air TV and cloud DVR for $99

By Jos
Oct 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Boxee has officially announced the successor to its oddly-shaped set-top box for online and local video streaming. As detailed in a leak last week, the new Boxee TV merges over-the-air live TV broadcasts, online content and DVR functionality in a...

Read more
  2. mevans336

mevans336 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

That's a nice looking device.

I don't understand why Vimeo is included though? It's even included on the Apple TV, yet I can't any content on there worth watching. Am I missing something obvious?
  3. stbecker

stbecker Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Just when I thought this would finally be the all-in-one solution to cut cable. Forget the cloud. Give me the option of buying whatever sized drive I wish. With the monthly fee, I'm unlikely to buy one.

Besides building your own HTPC (been there, done that), what devices have a TV tuner, DVR functionality, online capabilities, and a remote all in one?
  4. This sounded good until I saw the monthly $15 fee. This Boxee system is $99 + $15/month for DVR. You can get a Magnovox 500 GB HDD/DVD Recorder plus tuner for $279 which = 1st year of Boxee (Unit + Fees), after which you are free and clear. I believe you can even upgrade the HD in the Magnovox to 1TB.
  5. mizkitty

mizkitty Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

Sorry...but a coaxial cable input doesn't count as "local video streaming".

Boxee just burned every customer they've had in the last 2 years. Check out all the angry comments from their "previously loyal" early adopters at the official blog.

Forced obsolescence is a great business model...NOT...
    Might as well have changed their name and started a new company.
  6. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

The local video streaming is via network connection to a NFS, SMB, or other network share, just like the current Boxee.
  7. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 831   +20

How do they do Netflix with linux?
  8. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

Probably the same way they do it on Android and Chrome OS

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.