TechSpot

Boxee TV offers over-the-air TV and cloud DVR for $99

By Jos
Oct 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Boxee has officially announced the successor to its oddly-shaped set-top box for online and local video streaming. As detailed in a leak last week, the new Boxee TV merges over-the-air live TV broadcasts, online content and DVR functionality in a...

Read more

2. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +11

That's a nice looking device.

I don't understand why Vimeo is included though? It's even included on the Apple TV, yet I can't any content on there worth watching. Am I missing something obvious?

3. stbecker

stbecker TS Rookie Posts: 33

Just when I thought this would finally be the all-in-one solution to cut cable. Forget the cloud. Give me the option of buying whatever sized drive I wish. With the monthly fee, I'm unlikely to buy one.

Besides building your own HTPC (been there, done that), what devices have a TV tuner, DVR functionality, online capabilities, and a remote all in one?

4. This sounded good until I saw the monthly $15 fee. This Boxee system is $99 + $15/month for DVR. You can get a Magnovox 500 GB HDD/DVD Recorder plus tuner for $279 which = 1st year of Boxee (Unit + Fees), after which you are free and clear. I believe you can even upgrade the HD in the Magnovox to 1TB.

5. mizkitty

mizkitty TS Enthusiast Posts: 33

Sorry...but a coaxial cable input doesn't count as "local video streaming".

Boxee just burned every customer they've had in the last 2 years. Check out all the angry comments from their "previously loyal" early adopters at the official blog.

Forced obsolescence is a great business model...NOT...
    Might as well have changed their name and started a new company.

6. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +40

The local video streaming is via network connection to a NFS, SMB, or other network share, just like the current Boxee.

7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,214   +48

How do they do Netflix with linux?

8. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +40

Probably the same way they do it on Android and Chrome OS