Brand new PC, Will not turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, i know there may be a lot of these kinds of threads. I've done some searching and attempted any tries for a solution. Probably the only think i know is that the PSU is NOT dead. However, I'm not sure about the mobo because when everything is connected, a green light on the mobo is ON. I have made sure it's not getting grounded, though im still not quite sure. Triple checked that everything is connected correctly. Could the source of the problem be the CPU? It's brand new, made sure heat sink was correctly put on and everything. Feed back would be greatly appreciated. My specs are:

Antec sonata 3 with a 500w PSU (tested PSU and works fine)
Asus Motherboard P5N-E SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
GeForce 8500 GT
Kingston PC2-6400 1 GB DDR2

IS your memory dual channel (2x 512). One of the memory modules (if you have two, or just the one) could be dead and it is causing your computer not to turn on. If you have some more memory that you know works try it. The green light on the motherboard just means that you are getting power to the board.

IF the memory checks out start unplugging things to see if you can find where something is shorting it out. Unplug everything but the CPU fan and then turn it on. If nothing happens then the board is either dead or the CPU is dead. If it does turn on just start putting things in one at a time and turn it on each time till you find where the bad part is.

samjohnson said:
IS your memory dual channel (2x 512). One of the memory modules (if you have two, or just the one) could be dead and it is causing your computer not to turn on. If you have some more memory that you know works try it. The green light on the motherboard just means that you are getting power to the board.

IF the memory checks out start unplugging things to see if you can find where something is shorting it out. Unplug everything but the CPU fan and then turn it on. If nothing happens then the board is either dead or the CPU is dead. If it does turn on just start putting things in one at a time and turn it on each time till you find where the bad part is.
I only have one memory module. It's brand new as well, and the only one I've got. If the CPU was the case, would there be a way to find out for sure? Or should i just take it back to my retailer?

Edit: The thing is...i'd really like to know which one i could return. =/

Do the fans give a lil spin when it is powered? How did you test the PSU? I've dealt with PSU that lit the motherboard, but were still faulty.

It could be the Power from the front that's faulted. You can test this by taking a flathead screw driver. Finding the manual for the MOBO and pressing the screw driver against the two pins that would normally be the POWER connections to the front Power Button.

You could purchase those lil Post Cards and plug it into a PCI slot to see if it gives any kind of error.

sipsoh123 said:
Could be couple of issues:

Bad grounding.

Bad memory

BAD VGA..

OR just wrong connections...

Start out by just plugging in the mobo, cpu,ram and psu.. See if it works then.. If you have a reset button on the mobo try pressing that and then see if it works.

Does the mobo have any coding system?
1. How would i could i effectively prevent grounding?
2. I'm sure it's not the memory since it's brand new
3. Are you suggesting the Graphics card i bought is bad? It's model?
4. I more checked over 10 times, refering to the mobo's manual.

I've already tried starting it with just the mobo, cpu, ram and PSU. Did not work at all. ALso, what would you mean by coding system?

Gosugod said:
Do the fans give a lil spin when it is powered? How did you test the PSU? I've dealt with PSU that lit the motherboard, but were still faulty.

It could be the Power from the front that's faulted. You can test this by taking a flathead screw driver. Finding the manual for the MOBO and pressing the screw driver against the two pins that would normally be the POWER connections to the front Power Button.

You could purchase those lil Post Cards and plug it into a PCI slot to see if it gives any kind of error.
The fans do give a little spin, about .5-1sec. I tested the PSU by using a paper clip and connecting it to only a fan to see if it gave power, also testing with a harddrive. Even the fan in the PSU was spinning.

I seriously can't find out what this problem is. I've spent time and money into this, just to see it all go down the drain. It would be quite a pain in the *** to return EVERYTHING.

Do the memory modules have the same latency? I also dealt with this one computer where we had two rams placed in and it wouldnt turn on. We plugged in a new ram with the same latency and it seemed to work fine.

The description of your power supply fan(s) indicates to me the power supply is bad.
"The fans do give a little spin, about .5-1sec. I tested the PSU by using a paper clip and connecting it to only a fan to see if it gave power, also testing with a harddrive. Even the fan in the PSU was spinning."

This is not a valid test of anything.
A power supply tester is only $10 to $12 at CompUSA, Cyberguys, and other such places.
Or trade out with a working power supply known to be good.

raybay said:
The description of your power supply fan(s) indicates to me the power supply is bad.
"The fans do give a little spin, about .5-1sec. I tested the PSU by using a paper clip and connecting it to only a fan to see if it gave power, also testing with a harddrive. Even the fan in the PSU was spinning."

This is not a valid test of anything.
A power supply tester is only $10 to $12 at CompUSA, Cyberguys, and other such places.
Or trade out with a working power supply known to be good.
Well, according to the testing info found on this page:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55506.html
and testing my other power supplies, it makes the most sense. I'm sure it can't be the PSU, after frying 2 other PSUs, I'm sure i would be able to recognize it from the burning popcorn smell. I have decided I'll find a friend with the a mobo with the same socket and test out my CPU.

I have to agree with raybay. I had the same thing with my new computer that I built a few months ago. I got everything put together turned it on and all it did was spin the fans for like 5 seconds. I put a different PSU in and it turned on. I would definitely try a different PSU that you know works and see if that is your problem.

Alright, to clear things up here are the things I have done. I tested the same 500w PSU with two different boards. At this very moment, I am using my previous motherboard (ECS K7S5A...lol) with this PSU. It works perfect.

I had tested my ECS mobo on a cardboard box to make sure there was no grounding and to actually test the PSU. Then i had done the same test for my Asus mobo. Nothing happened. With that said, the possibility of a dead PSU is eliminated, as is the possibility of bad grounding (since my ECS mobo is currently running in the Antec Casing)

In conclusion, I'm assuming that the problem lies in either a bad CPU or faulty mobo. However, i don't know quite what to do to find out. I may just use the warranty of the CPU and see if that solves the problem. If it doesnt, i need a new mobo. lol.

EDIT:
Alright, to bring this to a conclusion...So today, I exchanged my mobo for a new one (Howard suggested that the mobo was dead), installed it the very same way i had installed my previous one and the results are a complete success! Works great. Thank you all for your help and i hope this helps others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back